Sunday, June 17, 2007




Very touristy, of course, to go to Stonehenge, but we weren't too far from it and it was on our way to seeing some family heritage stuff.

The strangest thing that happened there was standing near a guy and his mother, both of whom were talking in Russian with Russian accents (of course), and then him turning to me and saying in the most Cockney accent, "Would you mind takin' a photo of me and me mum?" 'Twas kind of hard not to look surprised... But I took a couple photos for them.

Stonehenge was really beautiful, though. There were lots of tourists there, of course, but somehow it had quite a strong spiritual feeling to it of some variety. Must have taken a lot of effort to put together and it's a shame that there's parts of it missing. Would have been interesting to see in its fullness.

4 comments:

Fr Matthew McMurray said...

I hope you enjoyed your visit to my beloved country. I have never been to Stonehenge despite the fact that Bristol (where I grew up) isn't all that far away.

Della said...

I definitely enjoyed it enormously! The weather was beautiful, the countryside was amazing (and very Midsommer Murders looking around where my relatives there live!), people are all friendly and hilarious... It was great :)

Funny how that happens with not going to places near where you live. I guess it's because it's just part of every-day life or something and doesn't seem anything too amazing (although I was amazed at signs about 15 miles away from Stonehenge saying "Queues expected" - yikes! But I think that must have been for solstice).

Dominique said...

The Hing!!! I am so Jealous!! I wanna go though I suppose I will have to call it the henge should I go

Della said...

You have to go if you get the chance, Kaisa :)