Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Hillsong, glass houses, stones and Jesus as an investment portfolio option

I finished reading People in Glass Houses by Tanya Levin last night after being given it to look over by my boss on Monday. And Bob, I laughed, I cried, it was great!

Well, not quite...

I admit I wondered how I'd approach it - I don't think overly highly of Hillsong to begin with, so I knew I wouldn't be approaching it from a truly objective perspective. And Levin isn't exactly an impartial observer.

Overall, I wished there'd been more references and that it had been more of a study or investigative work into Hillsong. As it is, People In Glass Houses is basically anecdotal, deeply personal experience. Her life growing up as a Christian, having questions and doubts, becoming alienated from the church, finally being rejected and excluded by it.

The book isn't motivated by malice and it's not about discrediting religion or faith. She admires people with genuine, strong faiths and laments her own slow loss of faith and trust in what her church had provided her with. There's hurt there, definitely. You do feel truly sad about the way Levin was treated by Hillsong - it would hurt to be told you're not welcome to come onto the premises of the church you'd gone to since you were 14 simply because you were asking some awkward questions.

I kind of wonder what would have happened if people in the church had been able to provide answers for her initial questions as a teenager, the doubts, the desires for more knowledge and why, instead of being told that it was Satan making you ask questions rather than God leading you to blindly accept everything. I was saddened by this, the lack of answers, the slow erosion of faith and the obviously deep desire to connect better with God that was not being dealt with by the church who could have helped nurture the connection. It seems like they chose not to because it was "too difficult."

Hillsong didn't and doesn't do itself any favours by refusing to speak to Levin or others who are inquiring about what they're up to, especially when it comes to money. Openness and honesty would probably give them a much better image within the community. I know I'd feel a lot more comfortable if they were more accountable with what happened with the funds they receive. Is it a church or a corporation? I should add that I really dislike the prosperity gospel.

The cult-calling I wasn't so sure about. Maybe I just don't really like the "cult" tag all that much, or would prefer things to be really, seriously backed up with hard evidence/facts/incidents to go with the points about what a cult is, etc.

And as for the "Shine" program... Well, at least knowing how to do your makeup and paint your nails will be the saving grace of your self-esteem if you're a girl. Remember, you have to look hot to get a nice Christian husband!

For further reading, there's a Signposts blog entry on it, as well as a 7.30 Report thing, and then there's Andrew Bartlett's comment on Hillsong's take on depression here. There's also this for a more biased-seeming kinda thing.

No comments: