Monday, April 06, 2009

Melbourne, I love thee

Well, more specifically, I love your public transport system.

It's full of nutters. Nutters who say amusing things.

These are some recent examples of things overheard on public transport:

Camp chumpy bogan boarding bus: I can't believe my seven-year-old sister is paying for my bus ticket. How embarrassing. Wait... *to sister* You didn't understand a word of what I just said, did you?
Sister: Uh-uh?
Camp chumpy bogan: Great. That means you can't repeat it to any of your little friends now, can you.

Small child on SERIOUSLY crowded train, wailing to mother after a very large lady bent over in front of her, thus introducing buttock region to facial region: Kiiiilll meeeeee! KILL ME NOOOOOOOOW!

Old guy wandering up and down a platform at a station out west, shouting (possibly in Very Polite Tourettes): “C**K! UP YOURS! Oh, excuse me. Excuse me. GET STUFFED!! C**K!!! Sorry! Excuse me!”

Grumpy-looking older woman on mobile, talking loudly: Look David, don't make excuses for your affairs, please. I'm going to be living with it, we have to have SOME form of relationship. None of the children approve. No, I do NOT want to hear your excuses! Look, I have to go. People are staring.

I wonder why.

Apart from that, there has been an abundance of really amicable train and bus conversations of late. As a whole group. Whether it's about the fires or the trains doing random things or whatever, it's been rather amusing. And strangely community-like in regard to the fires. People who are complete strangers talking about what happened to them during Black Saturday or in the weeks following, how people they know were impacted, how their houses were destroyed/damaged, how lucky they felt they were to avoid the fires coming to their property or town or whatever.

I love Melbourne.

No comments: