Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Okay, so this is rant.

If you don't like rants, move right along.

But have you ever had a day where you get a major slap in the face from someone you'd respected and thought was a pretty decent person? I did today, and I have to say, it annoyed me, but disappointed me more.

The story? A guy sent an e-mail to my boss today complaining about alterations to his written material. Really ranting and pointing fingers. And then he got on to attacking my work. I quote: "This is totally incorrect. They are NOT volunteers, but full-time employees, as anyone with a little knowledge would realise."

Hmm. So sweet of him to go from criticism to insults.

And I was the only one he got stuck into with the insults. I wonder if it was because I was female, unlike the other people he was attacking? Strange how a lot of guys in the church, especially in administration, seem to think that they can treat women in any ways they want.

It's totally inappropriate. Criticism has its merits, and yes, I realise that I had made a mistake with the work with ONE word, which I had consulted about with another editor. But to be told I was an idiot, or for my boss to be told I was an idiot, was not acceptable. Especially since this came from a person is in an official position. In a church, no less.

This is why I'm not surprised that 70% of young people leave the church.

You expect more of Christians, and although I know that we're not perfect, you don't expect Christians to go out of their way to attack you or others with personal insults. However, it's most often Christians who do.

So now that I'm less "GRRR!!!" about it, I plan to talk to my boss tomorrow and express to him that I really was insulted and although the criticism had its merits and I own my mistake, I found it inappropriate for someone in church administration to be making such comments about my intelligence.

2 comments:

kris said...

not only does this person sound unprofessional in his comments, he also sound very un-articulate:P

if he was able to insult you with some style...well, that would be different...but he used a sentence with an under-the-breath comment, that is just bad sentence structure!

cheer up della. we all get those people/days/frustrations. your not alone! but its us "sane" people who've got to stick together in the church until the crazies die out. (we probably should work on a program to stop them genetically mutliplying too...)

anyway, love ya! hang in there

Della said...

Exactly ~ you want insults with style! *lol*

I mean, there are books full of insulting quotes out there, all of which have cleverness or wit or lashings of sarcasm to them. But to trot out the tired ol' thing... bah!

I've cheered up ~ forgiveness is important after all. It gets rid of the desire to "grrr" at people :D