Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Oh Christchurch...


The breaking news about the earthquake that's devastated Christchurch this afternoon has really been heartbreaking. The earthquake (and huge number of aftershocks that followed it last year and throughout this year) last year was bad enough, but for this to happen has just been terrible. I feel so sad for the people of Christchurch, those who have died and the families of these people. It's devastating to read that there have been at least 65 people confirmed dead so far.

Perhaps it's been something I've felt particularly because I visited Christchurch (and the South Island of New Zealand) last year and fell in love with the city. It was a beautiful city, and the people there were just so friendly and nice. I think it would be impossible to have visited the city and not fallen just a little bit in love with it at least. The tree-lined streets, the lovely buildings, the cathedral...

Seeing photos on news sites of the damaged cathedral made me feel like bursting into tears at my desk. Seeing footage from the city actually has made me cry.

The people of Christchurch are in my thoughts and prayers, as I'm sure they are for many others. I'm hoping places for donations open up soon, as I will definitely be donating. But I wish there was something more that I could do to help out. Sending money is useful, I know, but it would be great to do something practical as well.

No comments: