Sunday, December 16, 2007

This afternoon, the Pirates of the Carribean-style production of Pirates of Penzance was on ABC when I got home (admittedly, only the last half hour of it or so). When it was finished, I dug out my Pirates of Penzance CDs and cleaned the house while singing along. And probably annoying the hell out of my neighbours. And not being able to reach the high notes Mabel does. But that's something I'd not want to do, for fear of breaking glass.

Anyway.

The whole thing made me feel rather nostalgic. When I was growing up back in the glorious state of South Australia, my parents and I would regularly attend the Gilbert and Sullivan performances put on by the Scott Theatre group. That was from a very young age for me (and I was terrified of The Sorcerer when I was about five - the production featured a character appearing in massive explosion and puff of green smoke). And it wasn't just G&S. It was going to all sorts of concerts and theatre productions and art exhibitions and so on.

When we moved to New South (Cultural Drought) Wales, it kinda stopped. And I've done a bit of it since moving to Victoria, which is far better than NSW. But I miss all of the concerts and productions and everything so much.

That's just my little whinge, I guess.

And it's something I have to work on - finding more interesting things to go to, exploring alternative cultural stuff, just getting back in touch with the things I enjoy instead of life being all about work. Which is not really all that exciting.

No comments: