Thursday, November 29, 2007




^ Photos from a couple of churches in Lübeck.


When we were in Germany, I took a fancy to lighting candles in the churches and saying a prayer after doing so - never done anything like that before with churches or prayers and it had a nice ceremonial, reflective, serious sort of feel to it. Sometimes the candles cost a couple euros, sometimes they were free (usually depending on whether the church had a lot of tourists through or not).

I loved the art in the churches (the most peculiar things often tucked away here and there - one church in Lübeck had a plaque with delicate skeletons on it), the serene atmosphere they all had, the way your eye is drawn upward with the arches and vaulted ceilings, the combination of opulence and simplicity...

But then, I do rather like old churches.

2 comments:

Dominique said...

I like old churches too; they are so nice and comforting. They have a very rich aura about them. I also like the quiet ceremony that the allude to. Wish my churches had that

Della said...

I agree. In some ways, it would make going to church more enjoyable.