Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Mortality and My Breast

Warning: This post will contain the word "breast" numerous times. Oh my! No, it's not really that salacious, saucy or sexy. But an attempt to explain why I've not been blogging at my usual rate of late. And I'm only mentioning it all now because I got the all-clear on Monday, and therefore with somewhat of a weight being lifted from my mind, now seems like an alright time to blog about it.

A little over a month ago, I found a lump in my left breast, which was accompanied by quite a bit of pain.

You know that thing that terrifies all women and immediately makes you feel like the world is rushing on very quickly while you're standing right in front of it. I booked in to see the doctor and talked it over with him and he said that if it hadn't cleared up within a week or two, to come back. With my age (24), he said it'd be more likely to be hormones than something dreadful like breast cancer, but you can't help but worry regardless...

In a couple weeks, the pain still hadn't gone away and I wasn't entirely sure about the lumpy bit. I booked in to see the doc again and was getting to be rather worried about it.

This time around, he did a breast check. Which was of course rather random, as I'm not in the habit of going into stranger's offices and taking off my top, so it was an interesting place to start... And he had cold hands and was apologising for them while I lay on the table with the rather silly/sarcastic part of my mind thinking, "Please, let's not talk and spoil this oh-so-special moment..."

It felt all clear to him (I was going to say "good," but that could be taken the wrong way), but he referred me to have an ultrasound done because the pain should have cleared up. I had that done a couple days after seeing the doctor, and that involved getting my gear off for strangers again. Noice. So there I am, in the radiology place having my breast smeared with ultrasound gel while I'm asking the girl doing it where she got her gorgeous shoes.

As you do.

It's strange, as you don't really know what else to do once the small talk is over and the ultrasound is just going on. Looking at the ceiling worked quite well (in the "Lie back and think of England!" fashion, I imagine). But trying to relax and stop one's mind from poking around at the deeper, darker thoughts of mortality and "This could be one ultrasound wand stroke away from some very bad news..."

It was such an ENORMOUS relief when the technician said that everything looked okay and to her eyes, and there didn't seem to be anything to worry about. I nearly fainted with relief and I think my parents nearly did too, when I rang them as soon as I got out of the radiology place to tell them the good news.

On Monday, I heard back from the doc that the ultrasounds were all clear of any cancer, fibroid-somethings and "shadows" (whatever they may be) and no follow-up is required. So hopefully the rest of things will work themselves out. And anyone reading this hasn't been too traumatised by the numerous "breast" mentions.

Now that this particularly deep worry is pretty much off my mind, hopefully brainspace will be freed up to come up with more cheerful, interesting and/or amusing blog entries.

Oh, I must add this while I think of it. It's one of the reasons I didn't tell too many people about it. But when you're not ill/have health concerns/whatever you probably don't realise how deeply unhelpful it is to say to someone to "be positive" or "pray" or "think well about it and it'll all be okay."

Being positive is great, prayer does work in some cases and thinking well is nice enough, but it's not what people with health concerns need to hear. Most of them are trying to be positive and when they share their worries that something serious might be wrong with them, they don't want some glib reply about the power of crystal healing/how they can be touched by an angel/will "definitely" be right as rain/etc.

This is mainly because it will make them want to shove a carrot right up your nose to see how "positive" and "prayerful" you feel about it. If someone's sharing their health worries, just try to be supportive. Listen. Offer help/care if you live nearby. Pray for them. Make them smile by finding things to laugh or joke about. Just don't go in with the "be positive and you'll be fine!"

Or you may just find a root vegetable in your nasal cavity.

Conversely, I must say thanks to the people I did tell who were fantastic with it all, particularly my parents, Glenn, Boss, Deb, Joshy, Mr DB, Nym and any others I may have left of the muchos, muchos, muchos gracias list (sorry if I have!). I have endless love for you all.

19 comments:

Clansi said...

wonderful to hear everything is OK.

Anonymous said...

While I cannot understand the fear and anguish about thinking that something may be wrong, I can understand about what it is like to have strangers peering at and touching my breast.

Just over a year I had a mole cut out of my left breast, it had changed and was really dark and nasty. Anyway it was really uncomfortable lying there with my bra up around my neck while a stranger held a sharp scalpel to one of my favourite body parts. I ended up four stitches and a very painful boob.

Della said...

Sugarpuff - so am I! :)

Lee - That would have been pretty scary, too, though. And sad to lose a funky mole. Plus scalpels and exposed body bits wouldn't be the most comfortable thing at all...

Brandon said...

Mmm carrots up the nose... That will make a nice image to fall asleep to :P

I'm very glad to hear all appears well! Sounds like a frightening experience though. Good on you for checking up on it asap.

Della said...

At least it's easy to imagine... Or easier than imagining potatoes or yams or something *lol*

I'm glad things are okay, too. It was pretty terrifying. But I guess it's important to get things checked that are a bit of a worry with health.

kris said...

There is nothing better than coming to the part of the blog that said you were okay. My stomach was literally in knots for you. I'm so glad your results were an all clear!

Della said...

Sorry to have had you in suspenders! Wait, suspense... Yes, I'm incredibly glad the results were clear too. It was rather a worrying time.

Deb said...

I'm just glad everything turned out all right. And you are soooo supportive of me all the time, I hope you know I am always here for you.
:)

Della said...

It's tempting to start on "That's what friiiiiiiiiiiiends are for!" or something. Although that would just be a bit Disney.

Thank God for good friends, though. I really appreciated your support with things.

Perseus said...

Great news on the 'all clear'.

**

"prayer does work in some cases..."

Name one.

Della said...

You cynical thing you... :)

To be honest, whether or not prayer works probably comes down to faith and perspectives on situations that come about due to it. Maybe it's all just coincidence instead. Luck. Chance. The right alignment of the planets. Having a banana for breakfast instead of a crumpet.

Faith isn't too bad a thing individually. As long as it's not instigating crusades or something.

Perseus said...

whether or not prayer works probably comes down to faith and perspectives on situations

Should it not come down to cause and effect? Person A prays that Person B will be happy. Person B is happy.

Q1: Is person B happy because Person A prayed, or for some other reason?

Q2: Did a sentient being listen to Person A's prayer and make a conscious decision to lift the spirits of Person B?

Q3: If so, why is it that this same sentient being would otherwise ignore Person A's prayers the next day for, say, person C.

Della said...

Cause and effect is probably a little hard to prove with prayer. It's almost impossible to measure, as it's so emphemeral.

Maybe the thing with the sentient being is they don't always give an answer of "Yes."

I kind of wonder at times with the prayer thing whether people are sort of seeing God/Allah/Krishna/etc as being some sort of cosmic vending machine where it'll give a product every time rather than just keeping the money. But that's going off on a tangent.

And I guess it does raise questions about whether the sentient being is just capricious with the answering of prayers. Maybe part of that is believing it's for a reason that things get answered or not in certain ways.

Perseus said...

'for a reason...'

My most hated notion.

It instantly shatters will.

Della said...

Usually people say that about the bad things that happen. "Oh, your leg was lost due to that mishap with the penguin for a reason. God must have had a reason for allowing it to happen..."

Which is a load of bollocks. It just makes God look like someone going around doing random smiting. Although you've been doing that Old Testament review with your blog, so all the smiting in there... Hmm.

But back to the "reason" thing - as a Christian of some variety, I kind of see it as being that God tries to help people out. Doesn't mean people have to accept it or go along with it.

Perseus said...

"God tries to help people out."

Name one non-Biblical example where God helped a person.

Della said...

Hmm, could say people like Franz Hasel, Liu Zhenying, and others. But then it could be said it's just coincidence, exaggeration, etc. Or why God helped them when there were others who were also doing "good" things that got screwed over.

Even with the Bible, if it's believed to be a fictional account by the reader, what would make the God thing more real?

I get the feeling we probably won't agree on things though regardless *lol*

Perseus said...

could say people like Franz Hasel, Liu Zhenying

But you won't, because you can't. Not because I could argue on the side of coincidence and exaggeration (that would be an onbvious and lame retaliation), but because, well, it's not true.

I concede that one's faith in God may assist them to better/good things, but I disagree that God Himself has anything to do with it. Because He doesn't exist. On that, yes, I'm sure we shall disagree.

Still, at least we agree on Family First.

Della said...

If there's one consolation, that must be it (re: Family First)...