Monday, July 09, 2007

In between assembling an enormous pile of clothing on the lounge/dining room floor, attempting to sort out said pile of clothing and throwing bits of it out (with various comments to self, such as, "WHAT!? What is this!? ARGH!" or "Good... gracious... Formal shorts? Hello sanity??"), I managed to do some cooking.

There was an organic butternut pumpkin begging to be used, the saucy thing. So I hacked it up, boiled it and roasted it before turning it into roast pumpkin and pesto soup. Surprisingly delicious. Potatoes were also boiled and I did ponder making a cake for a while... But then got distracted by other things and cleaning.

Then I realised at about 9.30 that I hadn't made lunch for myself for the delight that is a working Monday, so I decided to make curried egg sandwiches with watercress. I never used to like watercress before The Holiday (no, not that movie, I mean my holiday that still makes me dream of being back in Germany or England - it was so fantastic it deserves caps). But then I met curried egg sandwiches with baby watercress thanks to Tesco.

I know, I know... Tesco. A supermarket. But the sandwiches from supermarkets there are surprisingly amazing (as it everything else fresh at supermarkets like Marks & Spencer - the raspberries there made me want to weep with joy). At least they offer better things to eat than places like Little Chef, which make you want to commit suicide.

We bought sandwiches, fruit, vegies and other picnic-y stuff from a Tesco on our final day in England after heading out of Winchester, looking at Jane Austen's house in Chawton, driving down narrow roads lined by tall hedges where little towns suddenly spring up around a corner to surprise you and generally being touristy. We ate the picnic in a field.

So there I am at about 10pm, making egg and watercress sandwiches and wishing I also had easy access to Wensleydale cheese and preserved carrot. You wouldn't believe how well that works together. It definitely is a myth that England doesn't have all that much fantastic food.

And I've still not finished cleaning.

9 comments:

Dominique said...

I have to do that clothes thingy that you have started too... but I keep ending up with half my clothes in the wash and just buying more clothes...

Yummy english food.... I want english food.

Yay for cooking; boo for cleaning

Dominique said...

p.s that little prove your a person not a computer comment thing is not esspecially fun for potiential dislexic people (or the official dislexic people neither I would assume)

Della said...

It's so hard to throw out clothes at times. Some are a definite easy decision, but then others you sort of think, "But... but... I like it and I'll never wear it but I like it!" about or something.

Ack.

Just have to be ruthless! Says me who ended up keeping 80% of things anyways... *sigh*

And yeah, the computer comment thing wouldn't be all that much fun for the dyslexic.

Dominique said...

hmm... I have to go through all my clothes and through out anything that is over 3 years old; it really just all looks really daggy... problem is; I'll probably not have much left... like whole stack of new underwear and 4 outfits...

Not that some people would probably mind

Della said...

Better than a ribbon and a trenchcoat!

But I know what you mean. There's stuff Dale was telling me to get rid of (my fashion adviser on the other side of the world) and I'm like, "But I like it!"

Hate sentimental attachments to clothes.

Dominique said...

Yes; especailly when there a holes in impropper places but it is a comfy skirt and the hole has a story and you want to wear it anyway because it is your favourite... Or you lost so much weight the trousers don't stay up anymore; but they have all the right stretched bits in all the right places...

Della said...

Ohh, I found my favourite skirt from a couple years ago while cleaning. Put it on and wore it around the house, even though the back pocket has ripped half off and is possibly enough to send people into therapy...

Should just sew it up/patch it, come to think of it.

clare said...

Yes, i hate that comment verification thing.
makes me do it like 3 times.
egg sanwich sounds nice. i wonder if someone will magically make me one. and cull my clothing collection while they are at it.
*sigh* mondays.

Della said...

Smite it!

Have discovered that there's no-one magical who cleaned my house and made dinner when I got home.

Still a total chaos!

Mondays indeed *le sigh*