Saturday, June 06, 2009

"I'm looking into the future - and it's not very pretty..." - Bubble, Absolutely Fabulous




^ Yay. Bubbles.

I was going to leave these entries as just the images, but I'm up late burning photos onto CDs and was thinking more about things, mostly stemming from spending time this afternoon dancing around on the back verandah with a huge bottle of bubble mix and a wand.

In almost all of the bubbles, my house would be reflected, making a shape like a horizontal cat's pupil. As much fun as blowing bubbles is, the reflections kind of made me a little sad. This is all due to (probably) having to sell my house sometime in the near future. Whenever I work on cleaning the yard or house now, the niggling thought is there in the back of my mind that all of it is for that.

And I hate that.*

Ever since I was little, I've wanted to live in a wooden cottage. This one came along at the right time for me with work and everything as a rental, and then ended up being the one I bought due to not being able to find other rentals that allowed pets (mostly). The house is comfortable, although it has its flaws (okay, so there are lots of flaws, but it's still my home and the first place I felt like home in since we left South Australia).

When the Black Saturday fires threatened home - as they did for close to a month - I kind of started to feel divorced from the place. What else could you do if you expected everything to be gone at some point in the near future? Why not start to cut your feelings off or try to come to terms with things that looked certain to happen?

Then when we could return safely and things were okay, it was so good to be home.

But then there's another sword of Damocles that looms. Cicero asks in Tusculan Disputations, "Does not Dionysius seem to have made it sufficiently clear that there can be nothing happy for the person over whom some fear always looms?" Okay, so the story of Damocles is more about tyrany, positions of power, etc than just about being an ordinary person with an ordinary life, but I think it still makes sense. It's hard to keep on keeping on cheerfully when everything coming all too quickly looks so meh?

Regardless, I'm trying to be happy. I'm trying to do things I want to do, have fun, make the most of the gorgeous area in which I live, take lots of photos, keep my fingers crossed about the snow situation, have some laughs and all of that, rather than just shutting down or giving in to the more nihilistic feelings.

So anyway. Pretty, transitory, elusive bubbles. Bubbles that delight me when they clump together to form uber-bubbles, the way they shine, quiver, float, make a faint pling sound as they burst, a delicate beauty made of nothings.

Anyhoo. Bohemian Like You by the Dandy Warhols has just been on Rage so I can go to bed a happy woman.

* For those curious, that relates to work. And I don't blog about work (apart from amusing things said by the officemate). I don't mean U2 by that, although I do have a serious dislike of U2 and their sanctimonious drivel.

2 comments:

Becky Daniel said...

i adore your bubbles.

i mean that in most seriousness and not in ucky ways.

:)

Della said...

*lol* Thanks, Becky :D