Thursday, February 01, 2007

I *heart* You?

Kaisa was searching for toys for a boy last night and one website we were perusing reminded us that it's time to get buying 'cos Valentine's Day isn't far away and what could say you love your partner (or whoever, really, maybe even yourself) better than something from said site?

That got me thinking about Valentine's Day and how it's really not something I've ever thought was much of a relevant Australian thing. It's always seemed a bit like Halloween, where it's kinda cool in a vague overseas tradition way but totally hijacked by everyone looking to make a buck off of it. When it's cheaper to buy an entire standard rosebush than it is to buy a bouquet of roses, there's got to be some indication that this isn't all about the love.

That said, it's a nice idea to have one day set aside...

Wait...

One day.

There are more one day matches of cricket per year than the one single day set aside for the whole "Let your beloved know how much of a special schnookie-wookums they are to you" thing. Hell, we even have Test match cricket, which lasts for FIVE days, unless it's the English playing Australia. What about a five-day lovefest? That could be interpreted as dirtier than I meant it, so it's meant the clean way before your minds start wandering along that path :-p

I said the clean path!

Considering how many years and years on end of war and conflict have been going on around the world since the beginning of last century alone, I guess it just means we're perhaps a bit better at giving people a bunch of fives instead of a bunch of flowers. And I don't think that saying, "I love you," more would have made Idi Amin a friendlier chap who was nicer to the people of Uganda, so let's not pretend that love is all we need.

But still, I guess we should tell the people we care about that we do so more often. Not just in a romantic love kind of way either, but just in general. Sappy, but oh well.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am choosing to ignore your suggestion of taking the clean path.


Hehe, five day love fest. Count me in. Wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more.

Dominique said...

Valentine Shmalentine. Ok so really I think the whole think is really sweet. I remeber in highschool how boys would break into the lockers of their girls and hide huge presents in their lockers so... Sadly cute...

If one day it dosen't happen to my locker (and I mean soon) I am going to turn into the grinch who stole valentine... dunno how easy it will be for me to pass as cupid though...

Five Day Love fest count me in... just well not with you... or Ben.... umm.... maybe I should retract this statement....

Della said...

Holiday snaps, eh, wink wink nudge nudge grin grin! *lol* Yeah, so much for the clean path.

I'm sure you'll find some locker lovin' some day, Kaisa. Or else you'll just have to see if you can find some wings, a bow and arrow and a sheet you can arrange as a toga for that Cupid impersonation...