Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Missing the Point?

It's unfortunate how Christians who miss the point the most are the ones who whinge the loudest.

I'm not saying there aren't legitimate complaints out there in the world and in belief systems and religious organisations that need to be looked at seriously and addressed. Instead, I'm talking about the ones who complain about something, having totally missed the point of it.

Recently I wrote something about grace. There was a load of great feedback about it from people I know or who know my parents or are even vaguely acquainted with them. That was definitely a good thing. But then I was hit with a wall of whinge from some people who clearly didn't read what I'd written or just preferred to not pay attention to what was there, choosing to create their own version instead.

Maybe they should be given points for creativity or something, y'know, like, "Good effort, love your interpretive take on this. Very innovative. Gold star for you, young man!"

Realistically, though, it just came across as them saying they didn't want to extend grace to people they didn't think deserved it, the wrong message was being sent, or that grace wasn't something that Christians should be advertising because you never know who might accept it and you just wouldn't want that happening... Or just that we shouldn't agree with other Christian denominations.

Point taken as missed.

The thing is, I do understand the issues that some people would have had with it. Grace in itself is fantastic, but it's also very uncomfortable to think that God extends it to anyone willing to accept it - including people we personally think don't deserve it. Pretty confronting in that respect.

Oh well. Guess there are always moments of missing the point by everyone at some time or another in their life, so no-one's immune from it. But sometimes it'd just be nice if people read things properly, considered them and showed some rationality before flying off the handle.

Plus when Christians get too busy snarking at other Christians for whatever reason, the wheels kind of fall off the whole "Love one another as I have loved you" thing. And yes, I see the irony in writing about snarky Christian moments in such a manner...

But on a lighter note, I've got to say that there are many moments of fun with Christian stuff, one of which that's been making me laugh lately is the following, reportedly from an English hymnal:

St Joseph stood beside the cradle
and embraced the Holy Child
Then he knelt upon the sod...


Wrong in so many ways. But I'm pretty sure God's got a sense of humour too when it comes to odd word combinations and phrases designed to be praising Him.

8 comments:

Melody said...

It's quite ironical though that they were not displaying the very thing your topic was about.

Sigh, don't we love our fellow people.

Della said...

It is ironic, really, but sad at the same time.

Unfortunately, it still seems like there are a lot of Christians out there who think our "fellow people" have to be perfect in every way before we can even consider sharing God's love with them.

Dominique said...

I want that song... What is it?

Oh and yes I agree with the whole not haveing grace stupid morons; I believe I already told you what they should do with their issues

kris said...

its one thing to agree that grace should be imparted to small children, misguided youth, or the homeless. Its completely different to say that grace is offered to those who believe differently to you and who might even want to kill you because of it.

Its a dangerous world out there, and it seems that christians, (now more than ever before) feel that they have to *fight* back.

I wonder if Jesus ever thinks over what He told us when He lived here and goes "I SAID TURN THE OTHER CHEEK, YOU MORON! NOT KILL THE SHEIK"

Della said...

Kaisa - not sure, just found those words. Googleit?

Kris - *lol* I love it! But yes, kind of do wonder that. The natural instinct is to return fire, though, I guess rather than saying, "I don't agree with what you do, but God wants me to extend grace to you anyways."

Lippy said...

I'm just so astounded at how much we know about hatred and intolerance hidden behind the veil of "religion", yet we've not put a stop to it. So many wars fought in the name of religion, and we continue it today.
I really believe if people tended only to their own lives, we might actually start getting people to live according to their true religious guidelines.

I can hope, can't I?

Della said...

Jimmy, I agree. And sadly it's often because people are misusing religion or using as an excuse to cover up their bad behaviour (regardless of what denomination or religious persuasion they are).

We can hope, yes :)

Fr Matthew McMurray said...

Sorry to comment on an old entry but I have been looking through your blog since you commented on mine.

I absolutely love this post and I am sure that you will sometimes sense the same frustration in some of my entries.

Love the hymn! Poor sod!

I wonder if "poor sod" should become part of the Good Friday liturgy!