Sunday, September 02, 2007





I have a slight fascination with skulls and bones.

On Friday, I found a fantastic skirt that made me think somewhat of the Aztec-style skulls (although with a weird acidy twist to it with those odd hearts-for-eyes) and immediately *had* to buy it. No second thoughts, just, "Right, you're coming home with me!" (the print of the skirt is on the top pic) (the other pics are: my scarf, my backpack and the print on a cardigan.)

The only weird thing about it all was the guy in the shop calling me "mate." But we've seen each other often before when he's been working in that store and I've popped in to see what skull-y goodness might be on offer. Still, "mate" seems more of a term you'd use on guys. And I'm quite obviously not one of them.

Anyway. Skulls. Bones. Tombstones. It all seems kind of emo or gothic or something like that, but really it's not. For a start, I've got no desire to do odd things to my hair, wear skinny black jeans and write appalling poetry on MySpazz *shudder* I've just always been interested in such things. And I watched The Addams Family a lot when I was growing up, so that probably explains quite a lot.

We went across the Simpson Desert when I was younger, and I found a camel's skeleton among some of the dunes. It took quite a bit of convincing on the part of my parents for me to not stash parts of it in the 4WD. I was quite fascinated with a sheep's skull I found in a paddock when I was Kindergarten-age (it had such odd teeth). There are random bits of animal bones and teeth I've collected over the years in odd places around the house (including a shark's tooth I found on a beach on Kangaroo Island). My dog's ashes are in a wooden box on top of the television.

Morbidity is probably the only explaination. Either that, or I've been won over by the cute sugar-candy skulls that are a feature of Día de los Muertos...

14 comments:

clare said...

emo or gothic or something like that.... or PIRATE!! mmm, Jonny Depp... *drools*

Della said...

*lol* That could work. Although I'd insist on the rest of the crew making sure they have good hygine, which would probably end in a mutiny of some variety and being made to walk the plank with all the soap while shouting, "Don't you understand!?!? They can SMELL you coming a mile off! Showers! Or a bath! How hard is it to bathe?!?!"

clare said...

or they would leave and it would be a sex boat made for two :D

oh the possibilities.

Della said...

For some reason, that made me laugh so hard I almost fell off my chair.

Really should be thinking about sleep, I guess, rather than piracy and Johnny Depp and saying "Cap'n, my Cap'n" in a really piratey sounding voice... *lol*

clare said...

Who needs sleep when a sex boat with Jonny Depp is in the options?

sleep is for teh weak.

although maybe thats where the sex boat is :*(

Della said...

Sleep deprivation could be a bad thing when it comes to that sort of thing...

And seeing how I think he's married now, I'd say it would probably only be in dreams.

And it makes me hope they'll never resurrect The Love Boat for a later, more adult time-slot, somehow...

clare said...

if they do i hope they get some younger actors in for it,would be good to have something to replace "the Poo's" reality show (aka: i need a wife)

Della said...

Ohhhh, Age of Love aka "I'm a desperate man-tard who's obviously going to pick a younger one all along"? Saw one episode of that and it was truly disturbing.

Delta had a lucky escape.

clare said...

i saw the final. he chose her cause she was stupid. so he had a chance of looking smart compared to the tart that didnt seem to understand that kangaroos were australian.

Della said...

Not know that kangaroos are Australian?!?! Where the kangaroos are is like the first thing tourists seem to ask!

Although the only answer you can really give is, "Actually, I think the closest ones are at the butchers."

kris said...

you know you have to be careful about watching things like Adam's family because suddenly you go from cute little girl in Kindergarden to Wednesday Adams who sleeps in a coffin;)

Della said...

And having decapitated dolls?

"Grandmama was teaching us about Marie Antoinette and the French Revolution!"

kris said...

ROFL! i love that film!

Della said...

Have you seen you can now buy the series?? I got the first volume on Friday and spent hours enjoying it to a ridiculous degree over the weekend. So hilarious and subversive and the sexual tension between Morticia and Gomez makes me think, "There's definitely never been a sitcom of this variety since..."

Perhaps a good thing, in some ways. Keeps the kiddies away from a fascination with bones. Or boning.