Friday, August 01, 2008

Went to see The Dark Knight last night.

Most excellent, particularly Heath Ledger.

But the amusing thing about the whole thing was:

A) The "Dark Whopper" ad. We were all in stitches about it. But it got better, because it was followed by...

B) An ad for condoms, including "king sized" ones. And then...

C) An ad about how Australians love big things. It was for some Big Eats canned food thing. By that time, we were all laughing until we nearly cried.

Very immature, but oh-so-funny.

Anyway. The Dark Knight was really very good. Christian Bale was great. But Heath Ledger was amazing. He completely embraced the character, and I think it sort of showed how poorly so many actors now days (attempt to) act. So many of them are simply themselves with a little bit of a change for a character, but Ledger really was The Joker. He was too fascinating to be scary.

If you've not seen it, do. But try not too laugh too hard about Dark Whopper burgers. Or big things.


*bwahahahahaha*

8 comments:

clare said...

hehehe.
Ive always loved heath ledgers acting. Its so true about actors today just playing themselves, That is part of why i was so dissapointed with the new star wars (ep 1, 2 & 3) they just rely on special effects and nothing else.
btw: Mamma Mia is good too. possibly because of my love of Pierce Brosnan, Musicals, and Abba....

Della said...

He was always good, but I think The Dark Knight is just beyond anything he's done in the past. Sooo well done.

There were ads for some Star Wars clone wars thing last night. Looked utterly dodgy.

Mamma Mia just scares me somehow. I like ABBA, I like Pierce Brosnan, musicals can be okay. But I've mostly heard really bad things about it. Plus it just looks a bit wrong...

Anonymous said...

I saw Mamma Mia last night. I loved it, it was so funny. I will have to blog about it.

I really want to see The Dark Knight, I have only heard good things about it.

clare said...

I have stuff to add but don't think it is appropriate to write about here. ;)

Della said...

Lee - To each their own. But I'll be avoiding it! Dark Knight's really worth seeing, though.

Clare - Sounds worrying...

Brandon said...

Yes, Dark Knight was incredible largely due to Ledger. Such a compelling performance :) I hear rumors of a sequel already...

I also watched Persipolis recently and was really impressed. Definitely an unusual film: animated French drama/biography about an Iranian girl. See it sometime if you can!

Della said...

I can't really imagine a sequel of it without Ledger. Shame, really.

Will have to see Persipolis if I can find it. Sounds like it'd be interesting.

Anonymous said...

Not sure the next batman movie could be called a sequel because this one was a sequel to Batman Begins. It will be whatever you call something that comes after a sequel.