Friday, April 24, 2009


^ Apart from flowers, I seem to be somewhat obsessed with books.

We went on an uber-shopping trip today. My feet still haven't really recovered and neither has my bank balance, but it was good. And I also saw the highest and most wonderfully purple pair of heels EVER but didn't even feel tempted to try them on because I didn't want to break my leg again.

But so gorgeous.

Also saw the most expensive pair of over-the-knee, heeled, black boots I've ever seen for the quality they were. But they were awesome enough in their own way as well.

Apart from the shoes, there was a visit to Borders. Damn you, Borders! *shakes fist* I cannot go into that store without emerging some time later, ladened down with books. I only really wanted Alain de Botton's new book about the sadness and joy of work (it seems appropriate), but left with the stack above. Probably have too many Pablo Neruda books now, too.

Then it was on to the DFO. Once again, much walking. But not so much with the spending, apart from being unable to resist a bright scarf, which is really long, annoyingly fluffy and still kind of fantastic. And a cardigan with a fake-fur collar. Because I feel the need to look like a 1950s grandma.

There was a blur of shopping after that as well, but I didn't really end up spending all that much, apart from on the books. But books, as I like to think of them, are an investment and should last for a lifetime. Or two or three or more (considering slightly more than half of my books are from parents, grandparents and great-grandparents). So it's worth parting with money for them.

Even if it's only so that future generations can go, "The Mighty Book of Boosh? Whaaaa'..??"

2 comments:

Kel said...

Allain de Botton is a legend
i love his concepts

just like i love borders too

nothing like that out here
just lots of paddocks that are bordered with barbed wire fences
but i digress ...

you have reminded me that i was going to chase down a copy of his book on architecture of happiness

Della said...

I love how he writes in a way that makes all of the concepts easily accessible and enjoyable.

Shame about a lack of Borders! They really should expand more... Although that would take over more small, local bookshops. It's a dilemma. But I like them anyway.

The Architecture of Happiness is one that I've been meaning to buy, as well as The Art of Travel.