Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Tupperbeware


Okay, so the first (and probably last) thing I ever bought from Tupperware arrived today. It involved a Tupperware party Which Shall Not Be Spoken About, suffice to say it was not to be spoken about (even though it was rather amusing, but you, dear reader are not to be privy to that amusement). But I am willing to say that I have always fondly remembered the ice-block moulds from Tupperware we had when I was a child.

So it made sense for me when I saw that these were on sale that I should buy some. And apparently they won't be made for the next Summer season. Not that I'll really have an interest in other Tupperware items, or obtaining a multitude of ice-block moulds.

I've already looked at them suspiciously, thinking, "When will the little sticks and lids go missing..?"

Which is promptly followed by, "This lifetime guarantee thing better work."

To be honest, I find Tupperware a little creepy and a lot over-priced. It's just plastic. Plastic boxes. Why would you pay more than $100 for a few plastic boxes? If you were going to bury someone in Tupperware, it'd probably be cheaper to buy a gold-plated coffin inlaid with the souls of the innocents.

Maybe I fail to understand the lure of Tupperware with its siren song of snapping lids due to not being overly domestic. Oh, I can cook, clean, sew, host dinner parties, paint, embroider, play the harpsichord (very ill indeed), speak a number of languages and kill spiders all by myself.

But I've never felt like a home-maker. The desire for complete matching china, crystal, serving ware, silver, chintz, throw cushions, husband, children, etc has never overtaken me. I like to have my house clean and things organised, but it's also not the end of the world if it's not. I love cooking, but not all the time. I'm not overly concerned about the containers in the cupboard that house flour, sugar and so on match (although they do - I can't resist vintage canisters).

So who knows where this Tupperware rebellion arose from.

I do know, though, that I don't appreciate being pestered to host Tupperware parties (although I could be tempted if Aunt Barbara did one - see Aunt Barbara's "Is A Tupperware Party Right For Me?" to see what I mean). It makes me feel like I'm being forced into a snap-lock, fridge-fresh version of Amway.

And yet, here I am with Tupperware ice-block moulds.

Plus a free melon-baller (which my friend Michael joked about before knowing I'd actually received one - psychic, that boy) and a Tupperware keyring that's one of their Go Flex (TM) things, which has about enough room in it for the morals of a politician.

10 comments:

Kezza said...

ha ha I like. I agree too. I said to M the other day, tupperware is just glorified plastic, overpriced at that. I to have no interest in matching kitchen wear, house stuff. As long as it works and looks nice then I'm happy. great blog post :)

Della said...

It really is glorified plastic, but it sells well by the seem of things.

It is nice to have some matching things and yeah, I agree - as long as things look nice and work well, it's all good. You don't have to pay lots these days for things that look good and survive more than one washing.

Ben said...

"If you were going to bury someone in Tupperware, it'd probably be cheaper to buy a gold-plated coffin inlaid with the souls of the innocents."

But Tupperware would keep the body nice and fresh for the second coming.


I remember those ice-block moulds. Don't try to make Milo ice blocks though, milk doesn't freeze properly.
I'd also like to hear the full story of the party.
For more information on Tupperware, see the friendly folks here.

Della said...

Good point about the second coming freshness, Ben. But it'd probably work best if they were kept in a fridge afterwards, though, surely?

Duly noted about the Milo. I was wondering whether yoghurt would work. Will have to try it out.

The full story of the party involved a Tupperware lady who tried to push me into hosting a party and hearing about an acquaintance's husband's "massive member."

That. I. Did. Not. Need. To. Hear.

And now it's been spoken about, it won't be spoken about again.

Della said...

Although, one more point on the thing which shan't be spoken about, perhaps it was in reference to being a massive member of the local church?

Melody said...

You did buy something!!!!!!?!??! ROFL!!!!

kris said...

[in aunt barbra voice]..."i like to keep my corps fresh, not soggy!...you want them crisp and hard...not soggy!"

Della said...

Mel- Yup, I did. Although it's something I've wanted for years. So going to be making raspberry and yoghurt ice-block thingies. Mmmmm...

Kris - Disturbingly, I can totally imagine you doing the Aunt Barbar voice.

Della said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Della said...

Bah, humbug - Barbra. Shouldn't type when overly tired!