Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Caution: rant ahead

Good gracious.

Insight makes me want to get stabby tonight.

I can't believe the level of disengagement and total lack of understanding or actual complete wilfull ignorance about the state of politics in Australia among the young voters on the panel tonight. Okay, the majority of people in Australia probably aren't interested in politics, but you sort of think with an election coming on, it's time to find some information out!

And especially the good ol' excuse of "I googled it and I couldn't find anything about the party." WTF? Type in any of the political parties and their sites will be up there in the top returned results... Or at least some wikipedia thing. But I guess it doesn't matter if they're not actually interested in finding out what the politician or party stands for once they're there.

The self-interestedness, bordering on obsession, was also astounding. It seemed like the majority of the young people on the panel only cared about personal gains (at the cost of all else) and getting more money in their pocket at the end of the week. Yeah, that's probably most young people for you, but I thought we had a little bit of concern about others, too? Or has society just become so "Me me me" that we ignore what needs to be done to help it? It's embarrassing to be part of Gen Y if that's what we're meant to be like.

I also can't believe there's a chick on the show who's saying that if you've never experienced any other government, you shouldn't change it because it'll be a change! Oh no! Change! The world will end! My goodness. With that attitude, she'll be marrying her first boyfriend - even if he's a total knob - while singing Tradition from Fiddler on the Roof.

Thank God there were a couple Labor supporters, but the majority of them were all "Wheee, yay John Howard! I wanna hump his eyebrows! He'll give me a couple extra dollars per week and that's a perfect reason to sell my soul and our environment and living conditions! I'm a tax cut whore!" or "Politics? Que?" or "I just vote how my parents vote."

And yes, that tax cut announcement thing made me annoyed. Not just because high income earners end up being the ones best off, but also because I personally don't mind paying tax at the current rate if there's actually going to be something done about education, health care, social services, etc. Plus what impact will it have on interest rates? A tax cut doesn't help all that much when you just have to put it on the home loan anyway.

Jenny Brockie asked one question that stuck out to me, and that was "Can you remember anyone other than Howard being in power?" I feel ancient being only 24 and remembering Paul Keating and Bob Hawke. My family isn't political, so I have no idea where my political interest sprang from. And my political persuasion has changed over time. I'll be voting for a different party this time to that in the previous election (I'm so sorry, Bob!). When I was young, I actually liked the Libs.

Oh the shame...

But from what I've seen of them growing up, going through tertiary education, entering the workforce and becoming a home-owner, I see the Liberals providing less and less for people. Cutting funding to universities, Work Choices, their environmental and climate policies, treatment of refugees, the adoption of Pauline Hanson policies, the Iraq war, AWB, dog-whistling politics, Tampa, children overboard, lack of condemnation of Guantanamo Bay, treating the Australian public like morons, not wanting to say "Sorry" but suddenly wanting to include Aboriginals in the constitutional preamble (which seems like a cynical ploy), AFP bumbling...

It's all rather depressing. Why not find out some information about the major parties and their policies? Why not think beyond getting $20 more per week and look at what the parties have to say about the environment, what will be done for educational facilities, how hospitals will be funded and run, welfare, relationships with other countries, treatment of refugees, desire and commitment to work within and with the law, will they promote unity and acceptance rather than fear, division and prejudice, etc? Why not engage with the political scene, even just a little? Explore, find out, understand?

You might find a love for the Labor party. Or the Liberals. Or the Greens. Maybe the Nationals. Maybe it's a long shot, but the Democrats are also another option. Then there's Family First if you're so inclined... Plus independents and a myriad of other parties and people. Your vote can make a difference, so be informed about how it can and what you could do with it. Don't just fall for the first shiny political promise carrot that's dangled before your eyes.

There are lots of options out there.

Including this, apparently...

10 comments:

clare said...

$20 more? where is that from? i got a 13 cent pay rise. if someone wants to beat that they get my vote. It may be selfish but shouldnt pay each week cover the basics of rent and food?
So far i havnt heard anything worth voting for in the upcoming election, and to be honest, doing something about climat change and health care will swing it for me, so any one out there reading this and running there is a hint for ya.
Maybe they could also come and have a go at doing some of the low paying jobs before deciding whats fair to pay. They really need to get out of the office and into the real world to see whats going on.

Della said...

I think $20 was the average you'd get extra per week with the tax cuts the Howard gov wants to do. But really, the tax stuff only ends up benefiting those earning in the higher brackets. For the rest of the population, it's like, "Well here's a lolly. We hope that makes you vote for us."

I agree about the environment and health care. As it's been said before, you can't have an economy without an environment. The drought, issues with water allocations, whether or not desalination plants will be built, renewable energy sources would all be great to hear parties talking about seriously. And health... Why can the Howard gov chuck $45 mill at a Tasmanian hospital in a non-safe seat and then say that it's all the State governments' fault for the situations with everything else? Makes no sense.

I'd love to see more about education, too - making it more affordable, maybe even going back to the "free education for all" sort of thing... That'd be nice.

Dominique said...

Wow that is a rant; commenting on stupid sizest males would just ruin it.

As a side note I am going to sell my vote to the highest bidder. I do not mean to the political party that I think has the best bunch of lies to sell to us, I mean to people who actually give a F##k about who is in politics. Yes you can have my vote, We'll start the bidding at lets say, $20, do I have any takers for $20?

Della said...

Any luck with your "I'll vote for the highest bidder!" thing yet?

Be interesting to see whether or not it's legal to do (although really with the promises the political parties make, it's almost like buying people's votes anyways).

Dominique said...

so far I haven't put it in ebay; Till waiting to see if I hear back from my researchers; the chaser team.

Della said...

Hopefully they get back to you. You could even get on tv or something. We'd all be so proud!

Dominique said...

TV and gaol in one go could be so cool.... that will make an excellent resume for any prospective parents in law...

Della said...

Or future employers or anyone really! Especially if you were thinking of starting a day-care centre for kids.

Dominique said...

that is very true... so I must make sure all t's are cross and all the eye's have dots... before I do it... must think through stupid plans and then jump into them.

Della said...

Hmm, yes, it's not a bad idea to consider stupid plans before doing them anyway ;)