Monday, October 08, 2007


The friendly next-door dog.

He's so adorable! I'd actually go so far as to say he's the cutest dog in the world (now that my dog is dead and cremated - hard to be cute when you're in ashes).

Last night he met half-way down the next road and could smell the dog I patted after work on my hand. He looked at me with a doggy expression like, "How COULD you, you hussy!?" But then scratching behind his ears won him over again...

I've been thinking about getting another dog lately, although not in any serious way. This is the longest time I've ever gone without owning a dog in my entire life, but it hasn't seemed appropriate to get a new one since Derek died. He was such a perfect dog (yes, I am biased) and such a major part of my life for so many years that in some ways I'm not sure about whether I'd be happy with a replacement or not.

And if I didn't like the next dog, it's not like it's just for Christmas or something. It's for life! Or as Bubble would say on Ab Fab, "No! No! It's not for life, it's for Christmas!"

So while I'm unsure, I remain dog-less.

4 comments:

Chaos said...

Just remember that no dog replaces another. The new addition to a family is a unique self that becomes a piece of you.

Della said...

That's very true (and wise).

I don't approach other dogs with the must-be-like-my-old-dog eyes on, so I really shouldn't inflict that on any new pooch I decide to purchase.

Still... Think I might leave it a while longer...

Anonymous said...

Get a cat. Dogs are smelly and stupid.
:P

Della said...

So are cats. And they do that hairball thing. Gah!

But then it could provide lolcats material...