Tuesday, March 25, 2008

There will be blood

But not in this blog entry as although the photos are kind of cool in a weird and twisted way, I guess they're not entirely blog-appropriate and I don't want people suing me for if they faint and hit their heads on their keyboards.

The short of it: The wisdom tooth blogged about previously was extracted by the dentist today.

The long of it: I was terrified!

And being terrified takes more time than wisdom tooth extraction.

This morning I rang the dentist when they opened and thankfully they had a space they could fit me in this afternoon. Hallelujah! This was definitely a good thing as more of the tooth had come off since I wrote about it last and I was in pain. PAIN. PAAAAAAAAAIN. I was even in so much pain that I went to the dentist wearing a hoodie, semi-formal skirt and thongs. See what pain does to my mind!??!

It also made me announce, "Drugs! My favourite!" while at the bus stop going through my bag and discovering a packet of Tramadol I'd put in there. It makes people stare. And it would just be more awkward to say, "I have wisdom tooth pain, too little sleep and no food since yesterday afternoon!"

But pain's never what we expect it to be.

Currently, the space where the wisdom tooth was hurts about as much as it did before it was removed. And yet I was irrationally terrified when my dentist told me he thought it'd be simpler and safest to extract it right there and then. I wanted to be sedated! Where was my sedation for removal?! This was not what I planned!

So I spent some time dithering, trying to avoid the pain I'd been told by others was akin to giving birth through your jaw. The fear uncurled from my stomach until I was gripping the arm rests of the dentist's chair like I'd just been informed I had to captain the 'plane because the captain and co-pilot had chicken a la salmonella for lunch and the flight attendant crew all had no arms.

It had to be done. My Mum told me to "Be sensible." But the horror stories! Oh, the cheery way in which people share them! Tales of how it hurt so bad and their faces looked like they'd gone through a few rounds with Mike Tyson in a good mood.

Anyway.

The noise was the worst part. That sound of crushing, crunching tooth that echos up into your skull as the tooth is bashed about to loosen it before it's removed. And you know what? I didn't even feel it when he pulled it out.

Sadly, I didn't get to keep the tooth. I asked, but apparently because of blood-borne diseases and so on, things like that have to be disposed of. But I'm clean and it wasn't like I was going to be making anyone try to fit it in their mouth.

Maybe just make a nice necklace decoration with it...

Just joking!

As I left, the dentist was coming back into the surgery and I apologised for being such a scaredycat and thanked him for doing the work. He made some joking comment about enjoying the fear he instilled in me and I would have laughed more heartily were it not for the fact that my mouth was crammed with gauze and bleeding merrily.

On a more cheerful note:


I bought these to cheer myself up after having the tooth yanked out. I'm rather loving anthuriums. A bit phallic, but eh. Why not. The florists and I ended up having a 20 minute conversation about teeth, dentists, whether or not they're that scary, injections, etc.

6 comments:

Clansi said...

Lachlan had both his wisdom teeth out in the chair... and said he was amazed at the sheer size of the teeth when they came out...

I on the other hand was completely unconscious. But I did have all four out, and they did have to be dismantled first, because they were sideways....

I know what you mean about the drugs though... I was literally floating in a golden haze for a week at college. It was bizarre.

(Trying not to sound like a teen magazine...) The worst part was (failed...) the lemonade iceblock they gave me in recovery. The nurse was saying "rub it around the nubs where the teeth were" and I was like "NO". When I finally did put it in, it went in white, and came out red.

I was NOT putting it back in my mouth!

Della said...

The wisdom teeth do tend to look rather large in the x-rays. And long! I didn't get to see the one that got taken out - it was whisked away for disposal *sobs*

*ahem*

The chair would be worse than being unconscious for the event, I think. Perhaps because not knowing what's going on is somewhat more relaxing than enduring it.

Got to have the bottom teeth surgically removed. Not looking forward to that.

The iceblock thing: ewww! Don't blame you for not putting it back in. Even if it's your own blood, still nasty >.<

I rememeber that haze from after surgery last year. Hmm...

Becky Daniel said...

glad you're ok!

when my wisdom teeth came out and the nurse was putting the needle in to knock me out, i closed my eyes and lived the rest of the year, before i started hearding people calling my name. when i opened my eyes, the nurse was just about to remove the needle and wish me happy sleep before surgery.

drugs are screwy.

Della said...

Thanks! :) I'm beginning to think my life is getting ridiculously dramatic in some areas. But at least I'm not cat-fighting people in fountains, a la Dynasty.

That's trippy about living the rest of the year. Just be glad that you didn't wake up and it was literally 12 months later...

Or that there weren't hallucinations of rabbits, tea parties and so on...

Dominique said...

Will the tooth fairy steal your tooth from the dentist? Will she know to leave the money at your house or is the dentist keeping your tooth to make a little cash on the side?

Della said...

Oh my God, I didn't think about that. I bet the tooth fairy will go to the dentist now! But he does deserve it for putting up with my terror...