Sunday, April 13, 2008

Burning




^ Spent two hours burning things in the yard today.

It wasn't too bad, except there's still a mountain of things to burn off in the back yard. And I wished I had marshmellows. Shall have to get some for next weekend.

Watching the repeat of Sunday Arts on ABC2 and it's really very good. Sometimes it's quite inspiring, although it makes me realise how much more intensively I need to work with art to progress and develop. "I can't work from my head, I have to see things" was one thing Rick Amor said about his art and it's comforting.

But with some art things (such as the film stuff), I kind of wondered whether some of the curators and so on believed what they were saying. It often sounds like such twaddle. But it also makes me wonder whether I should film myself setting a couch on fire, throwing custard at it, then jumping up and down on the couch remains and explaining it as "representing our life and times."

7 comments:

clare said...

setting a couch on fire and throwing custard at it does sound like our times.
that is an acceptable meaning for you artwork. ;)

Della said...

And now to get government funding to do it!

Anonymous said...

I have marshmellows you can have some of mine.

Della said...

I've got some at work, but thanks for the offer :) I'd meant to take them home with me for the weekend but forgot! They're in Milo now. Mmm...

Anonymous said...

Couch burning is old news. It happens all the time down here in Dunedin, and I don't think anyone who does it gets any gallery deals. They usually just get fines.

Anonymous said...

Yes but do they throw custard at them as well. Thats the difference that makes it art.

Della said...

Yes, it's the inclusion of custard that makes all the difference. And the government grant.

Although perhaps the fine is their way of giving back to the government ;)