Monday, April 07, 2008

Still waiting to hear back from the insurance company.

But I did hear from my power company this morning, who somehow have my mobile number and were checking if my power had been reconnected. They seem to be labouring under the misconception that the power was cut off by last week's insane weather...

So we got that all sorted out.

Or at least I think we did. We'll see.

Something tells me it would have all been so much easier if the branch that fell on the house had just snapped the cable instead of doing all the damage it did. GAH. This all just makes me feel like going on holidays far, far away.

But that's not an option and I shall have to call the insurance company tomorrow and annoy them some more about when things will be fixed (possibly).

Also, I really hate energy-efficient light globes. I put a new one in the kitchen last night that's meant to be equivalent to the light shed by a 75 watt globe. I had a 60 watt globe in prior to that which illuminated the kitchen to such a degree that you almost needed sunglasses (it got put in because I didn't have any energy-efficient globes when the previous one needed replacing).

The energy-efficient globe is so dim it's like being blind and trying to read braille with oven mitts on. Which is rather pathetic and not all that energy-efficient when you have to turn on the other lights in the room to ensure there's enough light for you to make dinner by without slicing your fingers off. Equivalent to 75 watts' worth of light... Sure *coughs*

Should just go back to the ol' energy-guzzling 60 watt globe. But that makes me feel somewhat guilty for not doing something about trying to conserve energy and all of that sort of thing.

7 comments:

Dominique said...

I hate them too; I had to put them in my room, unlike you they did put put a lot of light; add to that my white furniture and white rumpled doona reflecting the light everywhere and brightness is almost a problem... but mine buzz. and if they are on for more then 5 minutes start to flicker... it is awful

Della said...

Ugh, the flicker/buzz thing is annoying.

At least you get light from it ;)

People always just say, "Oh, you need to let them warm up," about them being dark. But uh, no. Not any better.

Maybe I just hate energy-efficient lights to much because they're like flourescent lights at work places. And who wants to be reminded of the workplace when you're at home?

Dominique said...

In my many years of experience with energy efficient light globes, they are not worth the trouble or the money.

There is a reason that they have been out for ever and people generally went back to the original. Don't messy with the geniusity of Graham Bell.... or whoever made the original light globe.

It has to be a political/commercial scam somehow

Della said...

I'm just enormously annoyed how there's that talk about banning the normal light globes. It's stupid, really, because there are some things normal globes will be much better for.

Such as actually lighting rooms.

If they can invent an energy-efficient globe that does what it says it will (in terms of light shed), I'll be more than happy to buy and use it.

But as they are now, ugh... They're to be endured.

Dominique said...

no no no they are to be thrown at the wanker who is trying to make them standard. Not endured!

Let him feel the consiquences of his decision, make him suffer at the hands of an unsifficent glowing/buzzing/flickering piece of junk!

Della said...

Or forced into a lab to work on a decent model of the darn things...

Dominique said...

or all of the above... an make sure all he is tormented by the rest of the lab, make him sit on one of the stupid things while he works or something