Thursday, February 19, 2009










I feel so shattered.

Yesterday for work, some work people and I went out to meet with a family who had lost their house and everything they owned in the bushfires on February 7. They had been out for the day and couldn't get back to their property when the fires came through. Sadly, their neighbours were home and lost their lives.

The family were lovely and amazingly brave. What I found amazing is how they spoke about their Christian faith sustaining them through this time. I think a lot of people are blaming God at this time (and admittedly, I'm not sure what to think about it). But they said they were relying on Him, and although there weren't any answers, felt God was helping them through what would be an incredibly hard time.

We had to go the long, long, looong way around to their property, and there was a lot of burnt (and burning) stuff on the way. Houses, trees, paddocks, fencing, etc. It was rather depressing, sobering. There were many houses that had survived the fires in areas where they were completely surrounded by bushland, and it was rather frightening to think about what it would have been like to battle the fires and protect your home in that situation. Particularly when the fires were so intense.

Taking photos through the area felt rather vultureish. But you kind of get over it after a while. It was so sad to be at the remains of the family's house. Twisted metal all charred and warped, ash-gray leaves littering the ground, blackened trees. The ground still felt kind of hot. And then there were the crows. Dozens and dozens of crows calling to each other dismally, flying around like blackened remains of everything else in the area.

There was a little burnt bat lying on the ground, being swarmed over by ants. A slightly-charred page of a book is caught against a bush. Another smaller piece of a page of a book is nestled amongst some leaves, words still legible.

It was depressing, in spite of the resilience of the people.

*sigh*

But life goes on, I suppose. And what else can you do in that situation, other than try to work on getting yourself together to face the future.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Will your government help people financially or otherwise who have lost their homes and possessions? Will your house insurance cover losees in the case of bushfires?

Such a terrible, dire situation.
Take care, Della, I'm so worried about you.
:(
*hugs*
Deb.

Perseus said...

I mean this in seriousness - not to pick a fight... but if one family relies on God to get them through it means that God therefore was not willing to help their neighbours who perished.

You say people are blaming God? Who is blaming God? I'm not. And are other people now relying on God to get them through? Why would you rely on a God that didn't save these people? Why would you bother?

It's not God. It's fire, and trees, and houses, and cause, and effect. It is a human tragedy ... a disaster. 'God' is in the way of our understanding of how it happened, how not to let it happen again, and how to help those who have sufferred so terribly. How can anyone rationalise God into any of it as either the cause or the cure?

*

But good for you guys to go out and help. It's a lovely gesture.

Perseus said...

..and is God 'helping them through' and not helping others?

Is He? Does he only help those who believe in him? Is that the trick? Believe in him, and he'll help?

If so, the money I donated should go to the ones God isn't bothered with.

I can't find the quote now, but after the Tsunami, the Malaysian prime-minister was asked about his thoughts on whether God was punishing the people, and he answered: "The Tsunami was not created by God. It was created by tectonic plate movement under the sea floor." At the time, I sighed with relief at the comment.

Perseus said...

And one more thing: Stay safe in the next few days.

Della said...

Deb - I hope the insurance covers anything, too. If not, will probably go on a rampage or something with a spork.

Pers - Somehow I knew you'd comment on this. I'll reply properly later - when I can think a little more. Doing my best to stay safe. I'm interstate for the next couple days, so at least not around the home town. Which I have heard is pretty much evacuated now.

Happy days... :-/

Della said...

Okay, brain vaguely more functional now.

I don't think there is any answer about that. I haven't been thinking about it lately because it just ends up making me cross. As my Mum was saying last night, why hasn't God answered the thousands of prayers for rain that people have been sending up?

I know your answer is that there isn't a God, so there's nothing to answer...

But anyway.

Really, the thing about relying on God was just that family's reaction and their comments. I don't think I'd take it so calmly or faithfully if that situation arose in my life (and it might).

Don't think God only helps "those who believe in Him." Seeing as there were Christians who died, etc. And I don't think natural disasters are made by Him for the sake of it to punish people now days. There are way more contributing factors to this situation than a good ol'-fashioned smiting - years of drought, build up of tonnes of leaf litter and other junk in the forests, crazy weather conditions, yada yada.

Good on that family for being able to stay true to their faith, though. That's what's working for them. Why not let people have something that makes them feel a little better in a time that's been pretty shit?

Perseus said...

If in a year their lives are back in order, I hope they realise that it was their own hard work, combined with the help of their friends and family and the CFA and the Government and you and the rockstars putting on the concert and the people like me and thousands and thousands of others around the world donating money and goods and services that helped them.

If they thank God, they are thanking the wrong bloke.

You wrote:

But they said they were relying on Him, and although there weren't any answers, felt God was helping them through what would be an incredibly hard time.

Let's say God is real.
Let's say they are right.

If God is helping them in particular, then He's a right bastard not worth acknowledging, let alone worshipping.

By visiting them and offering your friendship and support, you have done more for them than God ever has or will.

I'd have you over for dinner for your good heart.

God can go starve for all I care.

Della said...

I dunno, it's their choice about it. I was just typing what they'd said. I personally think I wouldn't take it so well.

But anyway, all of the people involved in fighting these fires have done an amazing job and I like to think of that at the moment. Hopefully it'll rain even more so they can have a bit of a break!

Re: dinner for good heart - it made me think of Snow White's stepmother for some reason. I really need more sleep.