Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Life on the run


Last week, life was lived on the run from bushfires. Ironically, the fires are more of a threat now than they were last week, but y'know. Hopefully will be able to escape in time if things get dire.

But last week's adventures were kind of fun. Apart from the fact that the house and its contents could be burning down and all of that. There's something interesting about life being compacted to a few suitcases and living in some variety of limbo.

At the same time, the limbo is somewhat hellish. I mean, it has the potential for an uncertain, horrifying future. And then it may be fine.

The following are some extracts from my non-diary:

"Watching a French film in a dodgy hotel room. It features a murder, which was rather disturbing. Obviously what happens when you find yourself attracted to strange French men who try to win you over with lion cubs. They are killers! I wish I could speak French. Maybe that's what I shall do if everything burns - get insurance, go to France, learn the language. Become a French pastry chef who solves crime with the assistance of a flamboyant and outrageous drag queen. Crazy Lady and Queeny, the adventures of an insane PI agency..."


* * *
"Really, this running-for-life lark is expensive. And rather depressing. But I swear I saw Sam Newman this morning. And he stared at me, probably because I stared at him first and smirked. I found myself looking at him thinking, 'Fondled any good manequins lately, Mr Newman?' He probably thought I was checking out his sugar lumps."

* * *
"On Friday at Maccas, I bought some fries. The manager served me and when he gave me the chips, took my hand and stroked it, wishing me a beautiful day. It was rather unusual on the whole. Kind of wondered how many sexual harassment suits have been filed against him."

* * *
"Living a life disconnected from my own. But I loved the disconnect, somehow. Rather energising, not having the monotony of what life has been for the past x years. My God, my life really HAS been that boring. I don't want to lose my house and possessions, though!"

No comments: