Monday, January 15, 2007

It's the first day back at work for 2007. I actually had holidays. Yes I did! And yet I feel like I've never been away and sitting here at my desk slogging through more than 390 e-mails that had come in over the holidays is making me want to slash my wrists with the calculator.

*le sigh*

But I actually did have holidays. Three weeks of 'em. They went far too quickly, I didn't get done half of what I'd hoped, but I went away, had some dates, did some shopping and actually made jam.

It's amazing jam, by the way. The first lot was from some of the morepark apricots that grew on the tree in the back yard (they were absolutely amazing this year). Then I got inspired with some organic peaches. And then on Saturday I made plum jam from the plums that grow wild by the house.

The plum jam is the best so far. Luscious, sweet but also with a sour tang, thick and a beautiful congealled blood-like colour. Really I think the jam-making was me just channelling my Nanna and Pappa. They were brilliant at making jams.

If only I could make scones that didn't turn out like little bricks (unlike Pappa's, which were light, fluffy and sooooo good), I'd be set. Nothing better than scones, home-made jam and fresh cream.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tell me, do you pronounce it "scone" or "scone"?

clare said...

lol. i think its "scone" ;)

Della said...

I've gotta agree with Clare there :)