Saturday, January 20, 2007

Remind me not to move to Wales...

There are enough dramas around here without living over a time rift (okay, okay, it's fiction there ;). I finished watching Torchwood - all 13 hours of it or so - if you hadn't guessed what I was meaning there about the time rift thingy.

Although I started off loving it, I have some mixed feelings about it now. But I did rather enjoy how the whole series made me think (or turned my mind onto little tangents of thought, which weren't always related to the exact matter of each episode).

The main thing to think is it's not Dr Who. It could stand alone from that quite well, really. The storylines are mostly interesting, there's some cool things that happen, they do tend to work the suspense quite well and the characters are all interesting enough in their own ways.

Except that they were morons.

Well, not all of them all of the time. But there were some moments where you're sitting there wanting to scream at them, "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING, YOU IDIOTS!??!?!" You'll know the moments when you see the series.

The thing that ticked me off the most, though, was the lack of emotional and professional maturity in the final couple of episodes that the characters allowed themselves to slip into. Although you probably wouldn't go, "The world may be ending! I'm going to pull myself together and be very sensible!" you also really probably wouldn't start not listening to your boss when you've listened to him in the past about much crazier things.

And Owen.

My, my, my. Owen. By the end of the series, I'd developed an intensive level of hatred for his character. You just wanted to take him out the back of the bike sheds and give him a damn good thrashing for being such a selfish, arrogant, idiotic little twerp. And for opening the rift that nearly... Well, you'll find out.

That said, it's still a good series. There are some very touching moments in it that might just have you reaching for the tissues and thinking "Who cries over TV? Honestly? Oh, me apparently. Dammit!" It also gets you thinking about things like love, life and the way it's lived, possibilities, what it means to be human (or inhuman), eternity and beyond, etc.

There's some laughs, there are some scary moments (I'm quite sure Countrycide would have scared the pants off me if I hadn't been wearing a skirt at the time), there's some plotholes, but the overall product is a good one. Worth seeing - especially to keep an eye out for They Keep Killing Suzie and Out of Time (the scene with the father and his son had me bawling my eyes out). You just have to get over the immensely cliched second episode (it's pretty well done inspite of itself, though) and then you should be right.

Oh, and the music reminds me so much of the music used in Nochnoy Dozor that I really wasn't surprised to see "the gloom" idea making an appearance in one episode! ;)

6.5/10. Not as good as Dr Who.

No comments: