Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Scents and Scentsibility

Last night I was having some aimless time in the bathroom trying to organise things but not really succeeding.

Most of it involved putting perfumes into order (there are quite a lot now, with the most recent additions to the collection being the three I bought in Germany and then another since coming home).

I sprayed on a little of the newest one and suddenly I was back in Germany in a small town called Schwendi, in the town's Schlecker (I love their supermarket names. Nay, their supermarkets! They have nothing in them that you'd expect in a supermarket and everything you wouldn't! 'Tis like magic). That was the first place I tried the perfume on and didn't buy it there when I should have... (and ended up buying when I got home)

But the memories!

It was almost like I was seeing everything again from the day in my mind's eye. The discovery that pear and apple juice in their otherwise-attrocious sparkling mineral water made it delicious. Helping to clean the rooms hired for the reception in the castle thing there (and how dusky and cold it was compared to outside). The 1970s design of Andrea's dad's house. Meeting the families of our friends (and Tobi's oldest brother saying, "I will prefer to address you by the German version of your name"). Nivea Creme in lovely blue tins. Making the effort to speak German (with strangers), Spanish coming to my mind more rapidly. Perfect weather. The smell of cows. Andrea's dad having the same name as my grandpa. The Autobahn. Being very content.

It's amazing how a scent can do something like that. And it doesn't have to be perfume. Stuff like freshly-mowed grass or foods or paper or books or rain on hot asphalt or anything really. You smell it and bam, back comes a memory of another place or time or person.

Then again, there's just some scents that are perfume-only and can be most fascinating. Like Bvlgari's Aqva. Or Dior Higher. Men wearing those just smell too good! I'm sure even James Packer could seem attractive while scented-up with either of those. Or maybe not. No, it'd have to be not. I still have eyes.

8 comments:

Dominique said...

OMG!!!
I think your in love?!?! With a place?!?! Please dono't go; with the time differnce and such we'd never hear from you again?!?!

Della said...

The chance of moving to Germany or England hasn't presented itself yet, so I guess you're still stuck with me!

Dominique said...

yay we have the unfortunate thing of having you around for a while... We loath this so very much that should the chance arise I think we won't let you go without a fight. Down with Deli living overseas!

Della said...

*lol* So surreal.

I used to think I'd never want to live anywhere but Australia until I went away. Now it's not so hard to imagine leaving.

Travel really does broaden the horizons!

The only bad thing I can think of is that living in Germany would involve taking up smoking. Not voluntarily, it's just that soooooo many people smoke there you're almost constantly surrounded by it.

Dominique said...

Tell you what; I will build a castle here in Australia; and make my own little piece of europe and you can come and visit whenever you want that way you won't have to go over seas to get your european fix and you won't have to take up smoking.

Please ignore the red dust I haven't found a solution that turns it into the lush brown dirt of europe perminatly

Della said...

Or lush green pastures? I don't know how they do it. It's greener there in Summer than it is here and we're in Winter. Depressing!

Dominique said...

Oh no; I will get the lush green pastures... we aren't supposed to have another drought for 10 years or so I think....

Della said...

We're meant to be on some kind of flood alert for the next couple days or whatever. Hopefully nothing on the New South Wales scale.