Friday, January 18, 2008

It never rains, but it pours... (down the walls inside the house)

People often say they wish had hair like mine, or shoes, or whatever. But if they're sane, they wouldn't dare say they wanted my house... Mainly because my house is starting to boarder on ridiculous.

About half an hour after I got home this afternoon, I heard a really odd noise coming from the ceiling in the hall. Couldn't work out what it was, so I went under the house to get the ladder in order to look up in the roofspace (aka: where the spiders live in abundance).

When I get under the house, there's water pouring down one of the house strut things... I'm like, "(insert various inappropriate words)!" and rushed back up, turned off the stopcock thing to the water heater. The water heater is conveniently located in the ceiling. Darn houses built in the 70s.

Called Dad in a panic, which is one of the ways in which to deal with things, obviously! He suggested turning off the mains as well, which I'd forgotten about while running around like a headless chicken. Then I started draining the tank (it's still slooooooowly draining).

Then I called a plumber. Not the creepy one. The creepy one was just... err... creepy, obviously. The plumber I got through to was very helpful and is able to come in the morning. Hopefully he'll be able to work it all out and fix everything.

Unfortunately, all I want now is a long, hot bath... Ugh.

The magic of my life.

2 comments:

kris said...

that just sucks! i hope you get the whole thing fixed soon. no fun being without the ability to soak in a hot tub of water...especially when the stress is on.

Della said...

It's half fixed at the moment - thank God the problem wasn't as serious as we were first thinking. Hurrah! But still, it's going to take a bit of work to get repaired... And a new system will need to be put in sometime soon, although it doesn't have to be *right now*.

Soooooooo looking forward to a long, hot bath. With plenty of bubblebath included. And no, I have no apologies to Peter Garret for not making it a three-minute shower instead. I've earned this! *lol*