Thursday, January 31, 2008

One of the guys in my department at work had a stroke in the early hours of this morning, which we were told about when we got in to work. He looked fine yesterday and we were all really shocked about it.

Our immediate boss called us into his office to tell us more about it and for some reason, it made me feel all tear-y. Perhaps because I need more sleep, mostly because the guy is really lovely, and partly because it made me think of how a massive stroke on top of a massive heart attack killed my pappa.

Rather depressing, really...

And tears at work is kind of awkward.

People look at you if you do it. With expressions on their faces like, "Ohh... she's... hmm... crying I think is the word. How do we handle this? Does this break social conventions? I think I'll look at the wall. What a nice wall." Which is also awkward.

Hopefully the work guy will be okay.

2 comments:

Becky Daniel said...

ha! The awkwardness at work---sooooo terribly true. Don't you love it when the woman you've never talked to in your life comes over and gives you a hug and tells you to "let it all out, dear"?

It's nice at the moment and then I can't make eye contact with the woman after that...ever. I just feel like making a flood of excuses or breaking down again if I do.

Sorry to hear about the man at work though. I hope he's ok, and you too girly. If I saw you tearing up at work, I'd jump into your lap and give you a giant hug...which would probably make things more awkward at work...

Della said...

Oh no! The "Let it out, there there, it's okay" types! They're rather frightening, although I guess it is nice they make the effort to provide some comforting words. But it's still more awkward and ever after you think, "So do I say hello or smile or just hide behind the desk..?"

Work guy is recovering, but it'll be a slow process. He was really fit and healthy so that's something the doctors are saying is helping in a major way. Note to self: become fit and healthy...

*lol* That'd be sweet, but awkward at work, yes! :)