Tuesday, January 22, 2008

This morning I was hunting for some things and actually managed to find some old things I'd written that had been published. It was kind of odd reading things from around eight or so years ago, still with high school perspectives and really random quirky humorous moments. Along with some real pap, which was mostly towing the line sort of writing, which I'm not sure I believed in then and still don't really now.

And I'd completely forgotten about having written most of it.

Obviously it was memorable... The ironic thing about it is that in recent times I've had people say, "Oh, do you remember when you wrote article x, y or z?? It was great and I loved it!" and I'm like, "No... Are you sure that was me??" And apparently it was me. But then there are some things that seem to rush into the past with greater alacrity than others.

At least it was better than finding an old diary or something along those lines. I recently found a box of letters a friend and I had exchanged over the years while in early high school. They're so tragic, full of petty matters that obviously had some importance at the time and none at all now.

In some respects, there's a lot of stuff you write while growing up that just makes you think if/when you read it as an adult, "I'd swear the person who wrote this was on drugs, were it not for the fact that I wrote it and I know I wasn't on drugs. Ugh!"

Then you throw it all out.

3 comments:

Clansi said...

I know exactly what you mean. I have a bunch of old journals like that, one particularly that I kept from 1998 till 2002. Painful to say the least

Unknown said...

Don't throw it out Della. I know you might not think so now, but there could be a rich vein of prose to tap there later in life. I regret not keeping a journal. Time will bring greater perspective to what you have written and may unearth a character for a short story or even a novel. :)

Della said...

Sugarpuff - mm, old journals tend to be scary things. There's the rare moment of goodness, and then 99% melodrama and bollocks.

Rough - too late for those letters. The articles get to (have to) stay, though. As for whether they'd unearth a character for a short story/novel, somehow I doubt it. Unless it's going to be about teenage angst. Journals in post-teenage years can be more valuable, I think. So why not start one now? :)