Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Expenses always arise when you can least afford them to.

On the weekend, the stove died. I'm not entirely sure how old the thing was - it looks like it's from the era the house itself was built. Everyone dislikes the stove, but I somehow managed to become quite fond of it with its lack of temperature knob thing for the oven, odd heating, lack of light, the grill never working... Well, the more I think about it, the dodgier it really is.

But it served me well. Until on Saturday it arced a hole in the bottom of a saucepan on one of the hotplates. This to me was a sign that it was time to go out hunting for a new stove. And brace myself for parting with muchos dineros *sigh* It's so depressing spending money like that. Yes, I realise that sounds odd coming from a female, but it is. That's money that's meant to be going towards my trip to Germany for the wedding in June.

But now I'll be having a brand spankin' new stove arriving on Friday and the electrician guy coming to install it on Saturday. Hopefully. The new stove is shiny, white, has a ceramic cook-top (which was only $100 more than stoves with just the normal hotplates), isn't lacking essential knob bits, etc. I'm mildly excited, mostly not. Hopefully it'll all work out okay.

It better for $1359. Dammit.

3 comments:

Dominique said...

Yay! You are a great cook with a shoddy stove... think how good you will be with a great stove... Yay new stoves!

Anonymous said...

Interesting, you claim to not like spending money but in your previous post you talk about your exploits while shopping for a new dress. I suppose that's just women for ya. You need a man around to buy all your whiteware and furniture so you have more money for dresses and shoes.

"A woman will pay $2 for a $4 item she doesn't need, and a man will pay $4 for a $2 item he does need"

Della said...

Kaisa - aww, shucks, thanks! That'll earn you an invitation to come stay again *lol*

And yes, Ben, it's women for ya ;) (and I do see the irony in it...)

But I mean in amounts over $1000 - smaller amounts to spend are cool, but when it's a grand or more, your bank statement really makes you notice it. Big purchases are just a bit confronting.

At least it's a value-adding thing for the house and having a stove that behaves itself and looks good will be oh-so-different.