Saturday, March 03, 2007

What can I say about the country? I love it.

Line dancing lessons one night, positively enormous branches anihilating the fence between you and the neighbour's house the next, chopping up said branch the following morning... Yup, I wish the country life for me (here amongst the greenwood trees!). The excitement never ends.

Last night, it was just a bit into Neighbours (for some reason, the chick Boyd did the underpants Charleston with while in Tasmania has lips that make me think of leeches - frightening - but anyways) when outside there's a cracking sound, the rush of something incredibly heavy falling through the air and a huge thump.

Another branch off one of the trees. A rather large one.

And it's squashed our fence.

These trees are called "widow makers" for a good reason.

But in all of this, I'm ashamed to confess I coverted my neighbour's chainsaw. I want a chainsaw so, so badly now. But me and powertools? Bad, bad combination. To be honest, I truly wouldn't trust myself with a chainsaw. Had a near miss last year with an axe and my leg.

Chainsaw + me = possible carnage. No, make that definite carnage. Perhaps it's that I'm easily distracted or something, or am not as serious as I should be around those sort of things. Mowing over a coiled-up hose while still back on the farm and powering around on the ride-on mower is still one of my most hilarious, humourous moments. Great stuff.

Anyways, here's some pix of the branch that so generously graced the yard and utterly flattened the plants near the fence that I'd been planning to pull out (positive to every negative? Hmm):





5 comments:

Dominique said...

Dude that branch is huge. Chainsaw definatly sounds like the best way of removal... at least in a yer or to it would probably make great fire wood.

kris said...

hmmm...we get a lot of information about some little tree that happens to have become a fixture in your backyard, but almost nothing about a night of linedancing...me thinks you have something to hid;)

Della said...

Line dancing?

There was a lot of country music. In fact, it was ALL country music. It make me cringe and look longingly at the door, which was open and I was thinking, "I could just vine right out of here with a nice quarter turn or two thrown in..."

I blocked out the memories by coming home and watching The Mighty Boosh, which I'm so very happy is back on! :D

As for the branch, it is huge - it's like half a tree. But the neighbours and I have that all chopped up now, and it will make some handy fire wood for Winter next year :)

Lippy said...

WOW
I'm glad you're writing about it, and not lying under it! That's a branch and a half. Got your revenge cutting it up, huh?

Della said...

The neighbours said something similar about being glad no-one was under it, seeing as the gate at the back of their property isn't far from where the branch fell! Apparently it smashed the concrete path on their side of the fence, which says something for the weight, force, etc! Yikes.