Monday, March 12, 2007

Stella! Stella! Don't go! (And 1000 posts)






I got the dress I'd lusted after from the Stella McCartney collection!

Not entirely sure what possessed me to go brave the wild throngs who were at the release of the collection, but it was fun enough. I didn't go to one of the major centres, and I'm glad - read about the wild scenes at Chadstone and in comparison we were quite sedate and very, very polite with no trampling of children or snatching of garments from the hands of those crushed underfoot.

The dress I'd initially thought was lovely was average. No, it was worse than that - poorly designed. I tried it on and it made me look like the twins were trying to escape and hide under my armpits. Not good, and apparently most other people who tried the bird-print dress found the same problem. But the material (silk) was gorgeous.

So I hunted around, tried on loads of different things (it was cool how everyone was swapping around things that didn't fit/they didn't want/etc), found a shirt I fell in love with but parted with it because it was dry-clean only and that's just something that doesn't get allowed in my wardrobe.

To be honest, most of the collection was pretty average - basically what you'd expect most competent fashion graduates to be able to produce. But you're not expecting haute couture when it's just an off-the-rack thing for Target. There were a couple of things that were truly lovely, though.

Kinda get the feeling that there'll be a lot of people who get their stuff home (like the lady I saw with a trolley loaded entirely with Stella McCartney stuff), look at certain items and think, "Hmm, formulaic... floppy... Supre but nicer material..." and then sell it on at profit on eBay ;)

2 comments:

Lippy said...

Somewhere, embedded in this entry, I sense the moral: "Be careful what you wish for..."

I'm off to ebay now :)

Della said...

Hmm, I suppose there is!

As well as the moral "It is not safe to get between a girl and budget designer wear. Or there may be cat-fights at the OK Coralle..."