Thursday, November 03, 2005

No matter what anyone says, marriage still seems to be the desired state, regardless of religion (or lack thereof).

But then almost half of all marriages end in divorce/separation... (at least in the Western world).

People don't want to be alone when it comes down to the very heart of it. We all want to be loved by somebody.

But then there are times that you can never feel more alone than when you are with another person.

Still, there seem to be a mighty lot of articles around on Christian websites, such as Relevant, about singleness and how to not be single any more (or at least wait until God provides you with the date of your dreams who you can then marry, produce offspring with and settle down into suburban life for the ultimate fulfillment of owning a SUV and picking the kids up from school at 3.30) (Oh, sorry, just wandered off into Nightmare World there momentarily!).

And then you get the interfering people who want to set you up with a friend of a friend to help make sure that you won't be single any more. Newsflash! I don't mind being single. I actually enjoy it. Stop bothering me with people you'd like me to meet or I may snap and smack you about. Or at least be brutally honest with you about what I think of your efforts to set me up with someone.

Funny thing is, I've got an editorial coming out on Saturday that's all about being single (and Christian - a dangerous combination!). Someone read it and then invited a friend of mine, who is also single, and myself to a "singles" event, which is meant to be coming up on Saturday night or something. Sweet thought, but HONESTLY. Did this person not read what I'd been saying? Did they mistake what I wrote for a desperate cry to find that special person to cherish in my heart and call Schnookums and be all cutesy with?

Hell, I don't want to be not single until I can find someone who can tolerate me singing along to Sex Pistols songs (usually in the shower), doesn't mind me laughing wildly at amusing television, singing along to Rocky Horror (and dancing), instigating tickle fights, loving Test match cricket... oh, you know, all of those sort of things that would make it "liking me for myself" or whatever. Sure, I'll go out with people, but I don't want a "serious" relationship with someone who isn't going to appreciate all of my craziness *lol* Or with someone that I won't appreciate, either. It's got to be a mutual thing there.

Until then, I think that the words "singles event" will continue to put my teeth on edge and make me want to run far, far away.

2 comments:

Brandon said...

Straight and true once again!!! You are incredibly right in all that you say here - and yet people will still ignore it.

"you can never feel more alone than when you are with another person" - that is brilliant. Something I knew, but never conciously became aware of.

Thank you!

oh and i've got this really great friend that i'm sure you'd REALLY like........ :P

Della said...

*curtsies*

Thanks, Brandon :)

I guess people ignore it because they like to think that relationships are the be all and end all or something and that they make everything happy. Who knows...

Feeling alone sucks, regardless of what state you're in relationship-wise.

Umm... gee, thanks *lol* :-p