Monday, July 24, 2006

Do I look like Delia Smith?

On the weekend I ventured into the kitchen to work on creating some cullinary masterpieces. Although I do that most weekends, so that's nothing new or surprising.

Anyways... I decided to try my hand at making savoury muffins. Had some absolutely scrumptious savoury muffins on Thursday last week at a farewell thingy for some of the ladies at work, thus the inspiration. Got all the ingredients together, made them up and baked them. The house was filled with amazing scents... Mmm! But the darn things are light, fluffy and lucious! I wanted them to turn out rather solid, but lucious. Oh well. At least they taste fantastic :)

Then yesterday I made vegetable soup. Now, there's a history with me and soup. I'm great at making things like creme de asperges and pumpkin soup and whatnot. But when it comes to clear vegetable broths or soups or whatever, it's been a total disaster. Plus I absolutely abhor pre-made stock you buy because it generally just tastes like salt with a hint of musty vegetables. Making stock myself... well... Do I look like Delia Smith?

However, I put prejudices and laziness aside and decided to make it anyways, working from the vague memory of how my Mum makes it. And it worked! YAY!!!! Really tasty, so I'm happy and the fridge and freezer are stocked with vegetable soup and light, fluffy savoury muffins.

No comments: