Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Bet you never thought you'd see Alan Jones here...

Mm'k, I'm going to admit that I'm surprised that Alan Jones is gay. Mainly surprised because I pay no attention to him, although if you ever see him on TV or whatever, there's the background angry noise that is his voice flogging whatever particularly dead and decaying horse he's on for the day with his eyes tightly squeezed shut, not realising the gates have been open for a long time. But I believe there was some buddying up to anti-gay pollies in the past. Or something. And also how he comes across as being strongly against "minority groups" in general.

I don't know, shock-jock radio never appealed to me (plus I think I always associated the "Golden Tonsils" of John Laws with the concept of "golden showers" and was wondering in a traumatised way about just how that may occur were the meanings at all related) (I is proud of me public school edjumucation) (although I think Cleo or Cosmo at an early age thanks to a friend's older sister is probably where that really came from), so I don't pay attention to it.

But it's also amusing with the letters to the editor of the Sydney Morning Herald the other day written by one John Brennan comparing Jonesy to Jesus (yes, Jesus. Unless the person he was referring to in relation to 2000 years ago was really the local Roman ruler who particularly enjoyed crucifying people publicly, which seems more fitting, somehow... Or the analogy works because they both start with the letter "j").

And then the letters today about it, although it's not lady-like to snort with laughter while at your desk at work.

Still, credit to Jonesy for donating a lot of money to a variety of charities - not many times do people put their money where their mouth is - and it wasn't too bad lobbying to keep the Snowy Mountains Scheme in public hands, either. Wikipedia entry about him is interesting though.

But I'm really tired of shows on TV and radio that run along the lines of Jones-style attacks on immigrants, single parents, ethnic minorities, etc, Today/Tonight being one of the worst offenders. If the government is wanting the ABC to preface shows that contain "opinions" in them with a warning, why can it be that T/T is not prefaced with a warning that says, "Warning: This show is full of absolute soul-destroying poop. Watch at your own risk"??

No comments: