Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn

Maybe I'm totally heartless or some kind of unfeeling cold-hearted child, but I honestly DO NOT WANT TO HEAR ANOTHER THING ABOUT THE MINERS FROM BEACONSFIELD! And yes, I see the irony in writing about it ;)

So obviously I'm not going to be watching their "exclusive," worth an estimated $3 million dollars, on Channel 9 on Sunday. And it looks like I'm not alone in this ~ according to a poll on The Age's website, 66% of respondents won't be either if they can help it.

It's annoying me how they're the "heroes" and "true Australians" and all of that other crud when their rescuers did a whole heck of a lot more than sit in a cage to get them out of the situation they were in. Yes, it was brave of them to stick it out like that and still keep a sense of humour (because there's only so many times you can go through "1,568,992 green bottles, hanging on the wall..." right?).

But...

There's been such an over-saturation of them and their story in the media already that I avoid it at all costs, if possible, and have come to the conclusion that I'd rather hear the story of the rescuers and what they did to get to the men if I'm going to hear anything more about it at all. All of those "live crosses to Beaconsfield" during programs that dragged on interminably for the two weeks were REALLY annoying because nothing was ever happening that was any different to in the "live cross to Beaconsfield for the latest update" that was on an hour before.

Plus it's not like people who work in the mining business aren't aware of the huge risks involved in their work and it's not like they're not paid accordingly.

Maybe if Todd Russell and Brant Webb had personally (think with a Tom Cruise sort of emphasis on the "personally, personally") chewed their way out of the mine with a set of dentures and a toothpick, I might not be so jaded and suffer from the desire to avoid their story at all costs. Who knows.

Someone who I think is about a thousand times braver? Sophie Delezio.

2 comments:

Melody said...

Thank you for putting what I've been thinking in words!

Although...I do like the thought of them chewing their way out of the mine...hmmm....

Della said...

*lol* That's all good. Chewing out of a mine could be a bit of a challenge, but with the right kind of dentures... :D

I think a lot more people are starting to think it, which is perhaps quite unfortunate for all of the people involved. I'm wondering what will happen to the town with the mine closed for such a long time (and possibly forever). The emphasis seems to be more on giving the two guys some money and not looking what the broader social impact was/is/could be.

Meh, ranting!