Thursday, May 11, 2006

Tech-no-lo-geeee, Tech-no-lo-geeee...

Okies, it's a whinge, but let this be a warning to you! NEVER, EVER get PC-cillin anti-virus for your computer. It's the thing that stuffed up my computer, you see, and they have those oh-so convenient statements on the back of their packaging that simply by opening the box absolves them from any responsibility for problems their program causes.

I'd had PC-cillin on the computer last year and it wasn't fantastic, but it wasn't bad either. It did slow down the performance of the computer a lot, it wasn't good at detecing spyware or adware at all (contrary to what it says) and was generally just a program that did some stuff.

The thing was going to expire soon, so I bought a new version of the anti-virus last month. Installed it. It decided to play merry hell and delete system files at will. So no more 'puter... And I'm taking it somewhere on Friday to hopefully get it fixed. We'll see what happens I guess. It may or may not work. When I said to the guy at the repair place that I'd had PC-cillin, his response was: "Oh no! That one's one of the worst programs for doing things like that. I'd never advise anyone to buy that brand."

What annoys me most is that I'd really wanted Norton anti-virus, which admittedly isn't much better, but at least it doesn't anihilate the computer. But the sales assistant at the store refused to show many any of the Norton stuff, just foisting the PC-cillin thing on me with numerous words of praise about how mind-blowingly orgasmically wonderful it was. So more fool me, I guess. And in future, I think I really will just be the b!tch customer who demands things, like, "RIGHT! I know you have some Norton products here. I DON'T care. GET THEM FOR ME YOU MINION OF SATAN!"

*ahem*

The worst thing is, I'm not even sure the computer can be fixed.

3 comments:

Brandon said...

Opensource, Della, opensource!!! Try out AVG anti-virus: http://free.grisoft.com/

and Spybot S&D for spyware: http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/

Sorry your computer got smacked around - I hope it can be resurected!!

Brandon said...

Well ok, those actually aren't opensource, but they are free and effective...

Della said...

*lol* Thanks for the tips for computer stuff post-possible resurrection! :)

If it can be fixed, I'll have to check them out - gotta say, I'd trust you more than a sales assistant any day.

And no, that's not a back-handed compliment *lol*