Monday, November 27, 2006

Random rambling musings on nothing much

On the weekend I attempted to get my copy of Volkerball, but it hadn't been delivered so I get to return to the shops next weekend (oh, consumerism, how thou dost tempt me!). As I was down there anyways, I figured I'd have a look around to see if a good Christmas present could be found for my Dad.

There's the BBC Charles Dickens collection for all of $200. Having just paid home and contents insurance, that was a mild "Eek, no, maybe think about it" moment. The Mozart 100 was $90. Also another think about it moment. So I'm still thinking about it, knowing that he'd really enjoy either of them and I'm leaning towards the Dickens collection, as I know how much he enjoys Dickens.

In the meantime, I found myself a copy of Alain de Botton's Essays on Love, which I purchased and am somewhat disappointed with in some respects (perhaps I wish that there were more philosophical angles). But it's a good book, as are all of his other books. Speaking of books, I must stop adding to my ever-increasing library of more than 700.

Also browsed through the recipe section of the ABC and then stumbled upon the diet books. There was the one about how French ladies don't get fat (au contraire, may we say, but perhaps they just mean the ones from Paris). Although it's been around for ages, I haven't looked at it yet, and took the chance to do so. Makes sense, really. But then really what doesn't make sense about eating sensibly and getting enough exercise? Somehow the whole French thing reminded me of a book of French cookery I found in Borders back in SA, which was an orgastic festival of meat, fat, more meat, more fat and a whooooooooooole lot of creamy things.

Then today I found this: http://www.handbag.com/healthfit/diet/rawfood/.

I never understand why people get so excited over raw diet things. It's like they're suspiciously joyous, trying too hard to sound like they're having a faaaaaaaaantastic time with the mung beans while all they want is some chocolate.

Although raw foods are great, I don't think I could do it for more than a week as a detox. Plus I like hot food, especially in Winter. I cannot imagine coming home of a cold, dark evening with wintery blasts coming directly off the Antarctic at a temperature that would make a penguin grimace and partaking in a salad.

No comments: