Thursday, September 28, 2006

When I grow up...


(from www.angusoblong.net)

When I was little, I really wanted to be a detective. But I think it was probably due to far too many readings of Nancy Drew books (and not wondering 'til a few years later how she actually managed to have any brain function left at all, seeing how many times she was smacked on the head and knocked out). And now I find I still have no idea of what I want to be, other than myself, which is a handy starting point, but not a career.

Still would love to have done medicine and become a doctor. Would also love to have done more with massage/reflexology/physio sort of stuff. Or kept up with learning languages. But my current desire, if I won the lottery or something (which would require buying a ticket... so that's where I'm going wrong), would be to go back to the Barossa, buy a farm and work with producing organic foods as my family used to. But I blame that entirely on loving (most of) the Barossa, it's food, culture, heritage and so on rather a lot,* loving organic food and getting enthused by The Cook and The Chef. Maybe write a cookbook or two... Do creative things. You know the kinda thing.

But then I'd probably get rather bored of that after a while.

Still, I miss going to watercolour lessons at one of the galleries with a local artist. I miss Apex Bakery. I miss living in an area that wasn't terribly bushfire prone. I miss having acres and acres of land to roam about on.

Buuuuuuuuut... Don't we always want what we don't have? Plus there are a lot of positives to the local area currently. Apart from that bushfire hazard thing. The amazing deli down the road, cheap antique store, nice neighbours...

*Not the inbred, boring, freakish or touristy bits. Although sometimes the touristy stuff can be really good.

No comments: