Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Behold, I send you out as sheep amidst the wolves...

Listening to the Hilltop Hoods' album The Calling at the moment and The Sentinel (last track on the album) made me think of being back in South Australia last year, which was my Hilltop Hoods and heartbreak year in a strange sort of way.

The Sentinel reminds me of when my ex picked me up one evening from where I was working for a couple of weeks and this was the first song that came on the radio when I got in the car. We both really liked the Hilltop Hoods and knew the lyrics to this kind of unusual and slightly disturbing song. We drove around some of the back streets near where I was working in Prospect to check out a retro store, which was really expensive but all of the items were of an insanely good quality.

Yeah, those were the days... Well, they weren't really. I wasn't happy, he wasn't happy, it was the Winter of our discontent.

In many respects, I think Matt and I should have just stayed friends rather than dating.

Still, he's a cool guy and I can say that now a year out from when things totally went to hell in a handbasket *lol*

Other than that, it takes me all the way back to January last year when we went to the Semaphor Beach Party where heaps of bands and DJs were playing, including the Hilltop Hoods. That was one of the best times in my entire life, even though I saw people there from high school who I'd never liked and who I'd figured would be dead by that time. Perhaps they are by now...

Walked to the bar as the tender looked right through me I said
"Excuse me", then he replied in tones as if he talked about me not to me,
He said: "Welcome to the Sentinel, I hope your stay here's perpetual,
We serve drinks and broken dreams but no edibles..."

No comments: