Monday, August 08, 2005

Oh please, may I vomit now?

I just got an article (click on the image - it should enlarge it) forwarded to me about Rebecca St James, and that was so not a good way to start my Monday morning - there's only so much gooey, sickly sweetness that I can handle at one time, after all, and Monday mornings are times when I'm particularly intolerant to it (or anything, really. A pox on Monday mornings!).

It annoys me that she's classed as the 'voice for the modern Christian woman,' at least by the author of the article.

Yes, purity is great, and so is waiting for marriage to the right man (or woman, if you're a man. Nothing said on the gay issue, although I assume that it'd either be the same principal (if they were allowed to marry, but seeing as they're not... let's stop that thought there before my head explodes) or the old 'do not pass go, do not collect $500, pass directly to hell' position on things). I'm not disagreeing on the purity front (although I've heard a lot of criticism about her book on the subject from Christians). Purity is good, even though I find it a little odd that she says that she won't drive alone with a man. I'd say it'd be easier to engage in certain activities while the car is stationary, rather than while rolling down the highway, but hey, let's be puritanical about this...

It's other issues that bug me. Like her living a "protected" lifestyle (and still living at home with her parents at the age of 27).

That's one big thing that REALLY annoys me about Christians and Christianity, and maybe that's from my perspective of feeling like I'm on the margins of Christianity. The 'protected' lifestyle thing. It's so stupid. So many of us have this attitude of totally avoiding 'the world' that we miss the point of what Jesus told us about being in the world and making a difference in it. Instead, there's a fortress mentality where a select few are allowed in, like some sort of exclusive golf club or something like that. That is a totally, totally wrong attitude towards Christianity and most of all, towards Jesus and God.

Of course, "she is a voice of the conservative right," which also makes me want to puke. How on earth can anyone have unquestioning faith in Dubya after all of this time? "...they believe (he) will lead them back to a time when everything was safe and good and simple..." Errmmm, yes... riiiiiiiiiight *insert appropriate lashings of sarcasm* Honestly! The world has really gone to hell in a handbasket since he became President, and with his idiotic foreign policies and lack of attention to pertinent social and economic issues in his own country, I don't think that things will improve there until there's another President (Go Hillary!) who has a better grip on foreign policy and how democracy actually works.

And then there's the perpetuation of the myth of the Prince Charming riding up on his white horse to whisk you away for a happy marriage and a happily ever after, which she says is what she believes all people know is the 'ideal' that they 'long for.' Blah blah blah BLAH! Fairytale pish tosh! Yes, it's a nice idea, but personally, I can't say that I've ever wanted the Prince Charming thing. Maybe it's because I grew up with a love of fairytales by George MacDonald, where women weren't the weak, simpering, passive semen-receptacles that they are in many other tales. They helped to kill giants (The Giant's Heart), they went on quests (The Golden Key), they hated the prince when he first arrived, but got to know him over time and appreciate him for who he was (The Light Princess).

Add to that all: She 'giggles', "I'm preparing for when I meet the man who will be my husband. I'm reading books about how I can be the best woman that I can be, becoming a great soul mate for somebody. That's exciting. That's fun." So what about someone loving you for yourself, rather than yourself with the additional changes thanks to some self-help manuals and a dose of a Christian Dr Phil (if there is one)?

*sigh*

Little wonder I feel marginalised as a Christian woman.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Interesting views, and I tend to agree with most of what you're saying. I'd say resisting temptation is better than closeting yourself from the world.

Found you through Technorati, btw, and thought I'd just drop by to say hi.

Della said...

Resisting temptation isn't always easy, but I think that's what God's there for. And I don't think we have to rush into areas or things that we know will cause us problems :)

But yeah, better to do something in the world and make it a better place if we can than be a closed off piece of 'holiness.'

Technaroti is handy *lol* :)

You've got a good blog, btw :)

Anonymous said...

Ah, wise wise words from the doctor :) I believe you are very correct about being out in the world and making a difference - even if it is just through your ideas, ethics, morals, and actions.

The whole "prince" thing is a cool idea, but in reality... well I think it has a few problems.

Hmm, excellent rant!

Della said...

Aww, thank-you Jesus :)

Agree with you totally about the ways in which we can make a difference! I guess it's all to do with the 'this little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine, let it shine, let it shiiiiiiiiine!' thing in the end.

Yup, it'd be nice to be whisked off by a handsome prince, but reality? Pfft. No-one's perfect for a start and relationships take heaps of work, even the ones that look perfect. And they're a two-way thing! It's not just about one-way whisking-off-feet *lol*

Della said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Della said...

Oops... just pressed the button twice there with the login and publish (thus the deleted comment *lol*).

Anonymous said...

I've become cautious about ultra conservative Christians who like to keep everything in a "sheltered box." I definitely agree that it is important to have personal boundaries and high morals, but closing yourself off from the world for a man to "sweep you off your feet" is a little far fetched.

In order for anyone to find their ideal spouse, it is important for them to know who they are in the world and whom they are most compatible with. This is accomplished by life experience. I am learning new things all the time inside and outside relationships. Yes, I have made mistakes, but why regret them when I can become better because of them.

I do admire that Rebecca St. James’s has established personal social rules with men. I have found that it can be easy to get in “over your head” when it comes to physical intimacy, and it is important to protect your “innocents” (not knowledge) so that you can be fully satisfied and complete in marriage. Boundaries can vary for everyone depending on age, length of relationship, and personalities of those involved.

Now matte what, I believe the focus should always be on God, and having a personal growing relationship with Him first. God holds the answers to the universe. He’s the expert. Who better to get advice from??

George MacDonald's books sound fascinating. I'll have to look them up. Stories that portrayed woman as the weaker and/or more impressionable sex always frustrated me.

Della said...

I agree with you about being cautious of ultra-conservatives and their boxed life, and yes, how will you meet a guy unless you're out there rather than locked in a tower somewhere? *lol*

Life experience is really important when it comes to knowing what to look for in a spouse, yes (and that 'experience' doesn't have to mean sexually - that can actually cloud impressions of people, I think). Sometimes I worry about how people will cope when they marry the first person they go out with or fall in love with or whatever. I'm sure that it works sometimes, but is it always the wisest thing to do? I'm not sure that it is...

Yup! Totally agree that God is the one with the master plan :) He'll always be there and I think He helps in regards to finding the 'right person,' setting boundaries and all of those other relationship things, as well as just being totally awesome *lol*

As for George Macdonald, I've got a link for a e-text of one of his stories: http://www.johannesen.com/WiseWomanComplete.htm