Tuesday, September 13, 2005

I hope you've had your Weet-Bix!

At 7.15am in the morning, it seems totally appropriate to pack one apple, a handful of bagel crisps and a packet of Celestial Seasonings tea bags for lunch.

Then you wake up properly later in the morning and realise, yes, an apple is a good idea. But bagel crisps taste like crunchy oil. And tea doesn't really have that many filling properties. Gosh darn.

Definitely not a morning person.

But... surprise, surprise, surrrrrrprise, this morning I read an article online about some research that's been done over the past 10 years that says that girls who eat breakfast tend to be slimmer than those who don't. What a happy thought. If I could bring myself to force food past my tonsils at any time before I have to leave the house at 7.15 or so, I'm quite sure I would be a stick-insect in physique by now!

*le sigh*

Although it is interesting to note this: The study received funding from the National Institutes of Health and cereal-maker General Mills... (my own bolding on the cereal maker bit). Which is interesting, isn't it? I mean, considering that 25% of scientists have said in an independent study that they're more likely to a) out and out lie, b) manipulate the truth, c) leave 'inconvenient' figures out or d) choose areas that will favour positive results for certain things when a study they're doing is being paid for by a company that has vested interests in good results.

Still, that aside, I think that there might be a point in this study. I mean, a good breakfast will help to fill you up during the morning, thus avoiding snacking, and gives your body a kick-start to help you face the day (unless you're eating something like Froot Loops or Cheerios or Nutri-Grain, which alone has more sugar in it per 100g than chocolate mud cake).

But you *actually* have to be awake to handle food, I think. Too early an hour and who knows what could happen! Personally, I'd rather snort lines of ground-up coffee... Although I can face food after 9.30. That time would be really perfect for breakfast. But I'm at work by then. Drat!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

snort coffee, huh?

please don't...you would look really unbecoming...i assure you!

Della said...

*lol* Don't worry, it's not something I want to do :) Who knows where it could lead!!! ;)

Anonymous said...

hehehe