Saturday, September 24, 2005

Ich hab' keine Lust

Hmmmm.

Marriage.

One of my friends was saying how his parents think he should settle down, and it's made me think more about marriage (which I'd thought about as I spring cleaned the house today and about how kind of scary it is).

As I've gotten 'older' (at the ripe old age of 22), more and more of my friends have gotten married. Nice for them, of course, and I think I'm happy for them, but at the same time I do tend to think, 'Hey, why not go throw your life under a bus?'

Marriage hasn't ever really been anything on my immediate list of things to do in my life. Never was something I thought about much as a child. Hell, my Barbies and Kens were living in some kind of weird polygamous-sharing-do-whoever thing. I liked weddings and being in them, but they never made my heart flutter at the thought of doing that one day. Fairytale endings were okay, but what happened after the endings?

On the contrary, they kind of made me think, 'Yikes. Isn't it scary to be contracting your life away to someone?' It's a nice thing, I guess, but it also seems like losing a part of yourself.

Maybe I just like my independence too much to want to have someone incorporated into that.

Of course, I'm not ruling it out. It's more of a thing of if it happens, it happens. But it's not my life ambition. I don't feel like I need another person to be validated as a being. If I'm happy with my life, it's all good :)

No comments: