Wednesday, September 07, 2005

I know it's probably awful, but I have a really hard time liking CCM (that's contemporary Christian music to all you heathens *teehee* ;).

And it's not like I haven't made an effort to like it, or try to like it at least. DC Talk wasn't too bad in their Jesus Freak (and Welcome to the Freak Show) era and that was one of the very, very rare CCM albums that I actually enjoyed all of the way through. Oh, and I didn't mind Amy Grant when I was younger - I think I had about four tapes of her stuff, which have long since disappeared (no idea where to, though). Serendipity wasn't too bad either, with their Radiator album, come to think of it.

Those are the exceptions *lol*

Most of the CCM CDs that are out there have maybe one or two songs that I'd class as good or interesting on the whole album - the rest give me the feeling that I'd rather be listening to nails scraping down a blackboard. Many lack a diversity of sound and style between songs that would help to make them more interesting. A lot of the lyrics are trite (particularly on P&W albums). A whole lot is 'easy listening' style, and even the more 'rock' stuff is pretty soft.

Problem is, I don't really know where you could start to fix it or whatever. Maybe something with more authenticity or something like that. I always felt that the Amy Grant songs had a lot of that to them - they weren't like, 'Lord I want to praise your name, in the sun, in the rain, I really wanna praise your name, again and again and again, again and again and agaaaaaaaain... *cue prolonged instrumental segment followed by lots of 'agaaaaaaaaain'-ing.*'

Sure, I want to praise God's name. But that's not all. I mean, there's HEAPS more to Christian experience. There's a bollock-load of struggles, problems, issues, discouragement, hurt and everything that comes with it all, as well as the utterly amazing-ness. Then there's a lot of times where you just kind of feel blank. Or don't know what the hell is going on and don't know where the hell to start with it. And there's times where you think, 'Okay, so God is leading, but just where are we going with this???'

And they need better music styles.

Although I think Christians are still somewhat hesitant about rocking out, so who knows. Controversy doesn't really exist (maybe there are more right-wing Christians out there than I'd thought... *gulp!*). There's no real statement or comment pieces on bigger issues of the world. Well, not that I've found yet.

Nevermind. I'm off to listen to some more Green Day ;)

2 comments:

kris said...

in the usa there are HEAPS of alernative christian music. In the attempt to stay "cool" christian music has branched out to many different areas. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending how you look at it) Australia has never really caught the need to have an abundance of this style of music around.

If you want to try looking for alternative christian music that has a better beat, try this site, http://www.ccmcom.com/.

If you want some great lyrics, check out Chris Rice. The beat is...easy listening but the lyrics will challenge you every time. or at least they challenge me...

Della said...

Cool, thanks for that :-D Maybe one day we'll get around to better music in Australia... Or Jesus will come back first. One of the two! :)