Tuesday, July 26, 2005

good-bye

My Nanna died this morning at 10.30am. Apparently she passed away peacefully in her room at her nursing home.

I'm not going to see her gentle blue eyes again, hold her hands with their papery soft skin, laugh with her about silly things, cook her favourite foods, visit her, be puzzled by her dementia, brush her hair, take her for 'walks' out in the sun, read the Bible with her, connect with our heritage, loving each other heaps, being mischevious.

She was the most amazing lady. Always encouraging, always loving, had a wonderful sense of humour, was strong, tough, caring, always working for others, always there with a treat after school. Some of the best moments in my life were spent at my Nanna and Pappa's house after school (every day all the way through primary school and high school). We'd talk, laugh, watch TV, sometimes have sleep-overs, wander around the gardens together, wrapped up in warmth and love.

I feel guilty for being so far away from her. I saw her last at the end of May and we had a great time. The best thing I remember, though, was at graduation last year how proud she was of me - she was so happy, had the biggest smile on her face. The photos are great - especially the one with her wearing my grad cap.

RIP Nanna. I'll see you later. Love you fit to burst.

No comments: